Sanchez' tail... again :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  14:03:45  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aaages ago i posted about my corn Sanchez having the tiniest bit of retained shed on the last mm of his tail, then which came off in the the old damp pillow, but left him missing a scale, which of course left a bit of a cut there. It healed fine as it was kept clean etc.

Sanchez isn't my most sociable snake so i let him be unless its feeding time or he looks like he fancies a journey around the livingroom. Had him out last night and has has the same problem again, literally just the last mm - i hadn't noticed it when he shed last time a couple weeks ago. It's such a tiny bit, i guess no-one would spot it on a freshly shed snake.

Trouble is the tails gone a big weird looking in that spot. Its bent a little, and again it's such a tiny area i can't get a decent pic. I'm going to pillow case him up again tonight but it's so difficult when it's such a tiny bit... and he gets very stressed out.

I'm worried that because i hadn't noticed it before that maybe it's affected his tail and made it bent like that. All i can think is maybe the scar tissue - small as it would be has pull the skin tight in that area cause it to bend the tail tip...

I feel terrible for not noticing but he isn't a big fan of me trying to hold him still for a tail inspection :(

Is there anything else i can do, apart from this issue his sheds are perfect! He's at 29.5 in the hot end. Don't know humidity seeing as he's a corn, and it's not normally a big issue.

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  15:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, poor guy!

My Spooky has the same problem - you need a magnifying glass to see it, but that tip stays on, every shed. I'm lucky in that she's a big soppy lass who doesn't mind me taking liberties with her tail - I just dip it in her water bowl and massage it, and she seems to appreciate the attention.

Some snakes just do this, no matter what precautions you take. The worst case scenario is that the tailtip withers and drops off. One of my royals (before the snake reached me or previous owner) seems to have lost the little 'claw' at the tail end but it doesn't spoil the snake's beauty. I reckon you're right about Sanchez' tail, that the tiny scar has caused a bit of contraction and given the tailtip that 'bend'.

I got some of this in - http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/zoo-med-repti-shedding-aid-64ml-md-31.html

I haven't used it yet so can't tell you how well it works, but you just spray it on to the affected area, it's even safe with eyecaps, and also, you can use it regularly as a skin conditioner, say on a tailtip, to facilitate future shedding ...which is what I should be doing with Spooky lol! Only just occurred to me! The girl only ate yesterday but when she comes out for armchair walkies I shall rub some of this stuff on her tailtip.

All the best with Sanchez - do hope the shed comes off.

Edited by - n/a on 05/04/2012 15:17:04
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  15:46:01  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oooh was wondering wether this was worth trying, now to get the little rascal to sit still long enough to let me do it. He's not bitey (not that that matters much in a corn LOL) but he just doesn't seem to settle when handled. Betty will explore quite happily etc but Sanchez just seems agitated most times. He has some days where he's fine with being handled, and he often settles down if he's out a while, i just don't think he's that tolerant of it, i've had him a year now, so i think he'll always be a bit restless and temperamental, or he may grow out of it one day, i don't mind as long as he is happy! I know when to leave him be :)

I'll order some, but will try just a massage in the water bowl tonight... i think i'll be wearing most of the water by the end!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  17:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - good luck - hope he behaves himself, bad lad, he ought to appreciate the care you're taking.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000