New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Regalmatt
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  07:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, I have my royal in a 4 ft viv with ir lamp, I'm havin trouble maintaining humidity levels, it's at roughly 25-30%. I've changed substrate from aspen to bark chips, as recommended by my lrs. Water bowl is in warm end, and I've added an extra water bowl. I can bring it up with spraying water, but I'd have to do this every hour to keep humidity at40-50%. Any tips please?
Cheers Matt.

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  11:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wheres your probe for humidity? i find it works best when raised about an inch above substrate, in the cool end. mines always 50% plus and when i had it in the warm end it use to say 17% or there abouts...
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  13:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you actually having any trouble with humidity apart from the numbers not being where you want them?
hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  15:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is it digital or one of them sticky on the wall rubbish ones ??

although the digital ones aint that good

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 06/04/2012 15:51:01
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  21:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your hygrometer has even the slightest line of sight to the IR bulb it will dry the air in the sensor/dial. If its a probe it is probably even worse as its a black box with the sensor inside so it needs to be somewhere that is not in line with the bulb at all.

Edited by - Lotabob on 06/04/2012 21:50:21
Go to Top of Page

Regalmatt
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  22:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replys guys!
It's a digital hygrometer, and it's placed on the back wall in the centre about 2 " from floor,
Kelf- my royals eyes look crackly, I've heard this could be due to low humidity .after her last shed her eyes looked beautifully clear for a couple of weeks and then they start to appear cracked???
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  22:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take the hygrometer out of the viv overnight, reset the max/min bit and see what the humidity in the room is, it will give you a better idea of how far you are having to adjust the humidity fro what it is in the room, most houses are about 50-60% so very little is required to bump humidity, maybe its your house that is very dry. Cracked and dints in eyes are signs of dehydration but with water bowls around that shouldn't really be the case even in low humidity.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000