Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Does this sound ok? (set-up help for a beginner!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Meadow
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  15:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI

After reading lots of posts, visiting lots of reptile places, and getting various bits of information from all over about keeping royal pythons, I'm at the stage now of setting up my viv, and wondered if a few of you would read through what I'm planning and see if it sounds like I'm on the right track.

I have a 3ft VivExotic (LX36) vivarium (still in bits at the moment). Considered a RUB at first but I think my house is too cold to be able to heat it effectively so decided to go straight to a viv. I'm going to fill it out with numerous hides and fauna so my royal doesn't feel overwhelmed by the size of it. One of the hides is one with a lid, like a cave, and will have moss in it.

I'll use aspen substrate

Water bowl - heavy, medium-sized

For heating, since the LX36 is quite low compared to, say, the VX36, I wanted to give the Habistat Reptile Radiator a go, and use it with a Habistat Pulse Thermostat. I have quite a cold house and was worried about the ambient temp in the viv but was advised if I had the probe in the cooler end of the tank to ensure that end was sufficiently heated, the warm end would be fine.

I've heard differing reports as to whether a cage is necessary for the Reptile Radiator - Habistat themselves don't sell one for it, and I've read a few users don't use one so happy for thoughts on this (I do know they are a MUST for ceramic and other bubs). The Reptile Radiator is flat so can't be sat on or curled around and Habistat say:
quote:
From http://www.eurorep.net/habistat/reptileradiator.pdf

Purpose designed as an animal heater, the HabiStat Reptile Radiator will not harm animals, people or fittings if mounted properly. It is specifically designed to direct most of its heat out through the lower, radiating face. Protective insulation minimises the heating of the upper, mounting site. At the same time, even the hottest surface, that which heats the cage, is not so hot that it will instantly burn animals or humans.

I'd have a digital thermometer at both ends so I could keep a eye on this, and a hydrometer (digital?) in the middle (?) to check the humidity.

So, viv, substrate, hides, heating, thermostat, hydrometer, 2 thermometers, water bowl, fauna... a lock for the sliding doors, and I will seal the edges of the viv with reptile-safe sealant.

What else?

Lighting - I wasn't going to have a light but, since royals are nocturnal, I'd quite like a viewing light so I can sit with my children and watch any activity. I've been advised to get a blue light but have a couple of questions.

Where should I place the blue light for nighttime viewing - warm end or cooler end?

Does it need to be on all night or can we just switch it on when we want to watch?

What wattage of blue light should I go for in a 3ft viv?

Does the blue viewing light affect the heat, and if it does, would the pulse thermostat on the reptile radiator adjust itself accordingly?

Food - if I get an airtight box, like a Lock&Lock box, will this be ok for keeping mice in the freezer (same freezer as human food)?

...and lastly, the royal python itself. I'd like to get a baby royal and have found a place that sells them once they're feeding, pooing and shedding well. Some places I've been to I've had a bad feeling about, so have avoided them. One place had some babies that weren't feeding, and said they'd sell them 'at my own risk', so I'm avoiding there, but this one particular place seems good, so I'll follow my gut instinct and once my viv is set up and I'm happy with it, I'll wait for them to have some more babies in (between 3 and 6 months old) and get one then.

Am I on the right track with all of this? Advice very much welcomed!

Thanks in advance

1.1.0 human beasties
0.1.0 royal python

“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.” - Alan Cohen

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  15:42:08  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have a reptile radiator for my set up (work in progress so no review as such!)

Surrey Pets Supplies sell a guard, which for the sake of a tenner, i'd certainly get it :) you never know ;) so better safe than sorry
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/reptile-radiator-guard-black.html

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  15:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like you got everything covered.

when you are getting your temps correct you want to concentrate on getting you hot end right not the cold end as you say. when your hot end is right the cold end will take care of itself. i wouldn't worry about being in a cold house, our house has no central heating and is very cold in the winter and i have no trouble with temps in the winter.

i don't worry about putting the rats in tubs in the freezer, i leave them in the bag and just throw them in, although the gf is talking about me getting a separate freezer to put them in but i think thats more to do with the amount

i had trouble with the locks on the vivexotic vivs, they were pro rep locks. the gap between the panes of glass was tight against the lock when fitted which made it difficult opening the doors and started to scratch the glass so i changed to rubber wedges

as i never used a blue light myself (i use energy bulbs for a day night cycle) i can't be much help. i would have thought they would give off some heat so a lower wattage would be best. have you thought about L.E.D lights, you can get these in blue, but wouldn't know if they need guarding, not used these either

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy

Edited by - blackskull on 14/04/2012 16:06:28
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  17:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ikea do an LED light strip range, search DIODER for the range, I have the 4 strip colour changing one and I have to say for £30 its brilliant (£19.99 for just white) though I dont have the royal viv illuminated at all, he doesn't like light so he doesn't get any.

Go to Top of Page

Meadow
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  23:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies! Setting up my viv has been delayed as I found two damaged parts this afternoon when I was checking through everything ready to assemble it I've emailed the place I bought from and sent them pics of the damage and now I'm in limbo waiting for them to get back to me before I can do anything else snakey! Hopefully they'll reply Monday.

quote:
Originally posted by mystra

i have a reptile radiator for my set up (work in progress so no review as such!)

Surrey Pets Supplies sell a guard, which for the sake of a tenner, i'd certainly get it :) you never know ;) so better safe than sorry

Yes, I guess for the sake of a tenner it is better that I get the guard - I'd be gutted if the snake burned itself When you say work in progress, how far along? Have you got it up and running or at least attached to the viv? Was it difficult to attach or was it as easy as the pdf makes it look (four screws and Bob's your uncle)?

quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

when you are getting your temps correct you want to concentrate on getting you hot end right not the cold end as you say. when your hot end is right the cold end will take care of itself. i wouldn't worry about being in a cold house, our house has no central heating and is very cold in the winter and i have no trouble with temps in the winter.
That actually makes more sense than the way I was told! Thank you

quote:
i don't worry about putting the rats in tubs in the freezer, i leave them in the bag and just throw them in, although the gf is talking about me getting a separate freezer to put them in but i think thats more to do with the amount
Might still get a box so the children don't go routing around and pull out frozen mice instead of ice lollies Good to hear they're ok in the same freezer as human food though!

quote:
i had trouble with the locks on the vivexotic vivs, they were pro rep locks. the gap between the panes of glass was tight against the lock when fitted which made it difficult opening the doors and started to scratch the glass so i changed to rubber wedges
Ooh, I didn't realise there was a problem with the locking locks. I'll have to look into this further as I *need* a lock as can't risk my five year old and my nearly 8 year old being unable to risk temptation and opening the doors when I'm not around!

Lotabob and blackskull, thanks for mentioning LED lights - I got to Googling and found this: Arcadia Vivarium Moonlight LED system which sounds absolutely perfect for what I want it for, and LED doesn't give out any heat so no worries about that. My children have each got an LED nightlight in their bedrooms, and the lights really do stay cool all night!

1.1.0 human beasties
0.1.0 royal python

“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.” - Alan Cohen
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  23:12:05  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have had issues with the cold end being too cold but I went with bats' advice and put an extra hide in the middle, you wont need a moss hide all the time and don't forget silicone (the fish tank kind)

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

Meadow
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  23:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

don't forget silicone (the fish tank kind)
I've got the silicone sealant on order - it's good for vivs and aquariums, and reptile safe I will definitely put plenty of hides in there. I'm a little concerned about such a big viv for a baby but hopefully it'll be fine with plenty of hides in it.

1.1.0 human beasties
0.1.0 royal python

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  23:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good point about the tubs in the freezer with having kids around. i don't have any so the thought didn't cross my mind

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  23:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep rodents in with human food - all bagged up of course ...but beware the mouse pinkies when preparing the prawn cocktails ...to say nothing of the late night munchies ...chewy cornish pastie with the tail still on????

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  00:39:54  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meadow

quote:

Yes, I guess for the sake of a tenner it is better that I get the guard - I'd be gutted if the snake burned itself When you say work in progress, how far along? Have you got it up and running or at least attached to the viv? Was it difficult to attach or was it as easy as the pdf makes it look (four screws and Bob's your uncle)?

[quote]Originally posted by blackskull

yes it was really easy to fit :) literally screw into the 'roof' of your viv, same with the guard over the top :)

The only tricky bit is the wiring... i had to cut the plug off so i could thread it out of the viv through a small hole and then re-wire the plug. Some people put it through the big holes before gluing the vents in and cut a notch for the wire to sit in once the vent is replaced... if that makes sense!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water

Edited by - mystra on 15/04/2012 00:40:18
Go to Top of Page

Meadow
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  09:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

...beware the mouse pinkies when preparing the prawn cocktails ...to say nothing of the late night munchies ...chewy cornish pastie with the tail still on????
LMAO

quote:

yes it was really easy to fit :) literally screw into the 'roof' of your viv, same with the guard over the top :)
That is good to hear!

Thanks again for the responses, I appreciate the help

1.1.0 human beasties
0.1.0 royal python

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000