The non-feeding blues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  09:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So i'm here alot as most of you know, and i'm always giving the advice when a new keeper is worried ro stressed over a nonfeeder ''hey chin up pal, thats what royaals do, it's normal'' which is why i've surprised myself by being so affected by my feeding lately.
i currently have 6 sub/adults and every one is off their food now, none fed in 3 weeks :( some male some female, some 1000g others 1500g, some old some young. It's a bloody nightmare having so many off their food that my mind is starting to play tricks on me and make up problems ''maybe it's too humid'' *drills extra holes in the rub* maybe they just need tempting *brains rats* even over a year onn since my first royal and i still forget to just leave them do, stop getting annoyed by it and relax lol.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  09:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these things are sent to try us

i hate it when they show an interest, having a good old sniff and luck then decide to just slither over the rat

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  09:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah that drives me crazy, mine have a tendancy to coil up, bend the neck, slowly slowly approach, slowly slowly does it, slither over, nose is almost touching the rat, suspense in the air, your arm tightens expecting the strike and still they come closing the distance, and then just carry on past the rat .... Anticlimax

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  10:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
neither of my royals are strike feeders. i know if sully is going to eat as he will come out of his hiding spot within minutes of the rat being put in his viv. clover on the other hand, nose out when heating food up with hair drier, duck back into hide when i open the door, head back out after a minute up to nose of rat, stays looking at it for ages so i leave her in peace. leave in over night and hope its gone by morning. she has only had 3 feeds since the start of january. might offer next time with the tongs but not holding out for much hope as she has shyed away in the past when offered on tongs

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  10:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My pinstripe is like that, she only feeds when i'm not looking i've only gotten 1 strike from her in the year i've had her.

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  11:02:54  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a new Royal owner myself and I'm already flapping about my boy.
He was due his feed the day I got him home. Which in fact was only 2 days ago lol.
The pet store told me hes not one for striking his food. And he will most likely be a little off his food due to the move.
But I will be much happier when he does eat. As before Chief I had a Corn named Shorty for many years. She was a prlerfect eater. From the moment she got home.
I can honestly say I had no major issues in the years of owning her. Perfect.
So I can feel me stressing over nothing will become a certainty.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  11:14:48  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you think about it, royals can't get a big rat every 10 or 15 days, so i think we are over feeding them, that's why they go into fast every since and while, and that's why when Blitz refuse a feed I offer one again after one month .
when Blitz refused a hamster in 10/2/2012 i waited to 1/3/2012 to try, but i didn't success, so i waited to 5/4/2012 then i tried again and Blitz took the hamster i think they just need a break.
if everything is okay (setup is ok) animals in general won't refuse a meal if they are hungry and snakes are animals so it's the same.
So my humbled advice to you, if your snake refuse a meal, don't offer another soon, just give him/her a break and try again in a month, every one knows a month without feeding to royal is nothing to worry about.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  11:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aye absolutely, part of it is me being too keen to breed, it's like god damn it don't start fasting at 1100g you only need a tiny bit more weight to breed foolish royal lol
but saying that Scar's not eaten for almost a year now he's a real pain i forget i own him sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  12:26:12  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my male hasnt eaten since november. hes not lost any weight so am not worried about him, i just dont defrost any food for him anymore and gets offered either the boas rat fuzzie which yes is slightly small for him but if he takes that then at least hes eaten, or gets offered the corns X large mouse. hes never taken either of these though, but i offer every 2 weeks on the off chance. is a pain, but i will always be feeding my males on smaller meals like rat weaners so as to try to stimulate them having slightly smaller meals so as to be hungry in 7-10 days

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  12:33:52  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aye i really need to go back to those oldschool rules again.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  13:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think many owners have fallen into the trap of trying to hard to get them to breeding wieght, we hear 3 years old and 1500g but in reality they`ll do it in their own time. I was gutted that my female Bumblebee was only 1400g at the end of October and had to put her on hold till next year. She started fasting in November and hasn`t eaten since so she just wasnt ready. A good leason learned though. Good things come to those that wait.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  18:26:58  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm much happier as Chief took hiss first feed last night. so happy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  18:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, ShadE!

Yeah, My Shahi, who's been fasting for about 6 months, took a rat last week - much to my amazement lol. They get there in the end.

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  18:53:46  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks BATS!
I thought i'd try even though i was advised he probs wouldn't show much interest, But he was happy to eat!
Very proud indeedy.
And 6 months?? :O Wow and heres me flapping after 24 hours lol
I think this whole fasting is something i need to get used to lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  19:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - nah, just think of it as hibernation - they live on their fat.

My eldest snake, Surahi, a cb06 dinker, shed and made a mess today. She's been fasting too but has had the occasional snack. 6 months ago she was 1500g ...today, 1400gm - that's a weight loss of 100 gm in 6 months.

It's just how royals are built.

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  01:02:45  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah thats pretty awesome how long they can go with no harm to themselves. I think I find it so crazy cus my corn Shorty never skipped a meal.
I'm havin a blast gettin to know and understand more about Royals.
Chief has already brought me endless hours of fun. Just sittin watching him and his lil character is priceless.

Edited by - ShadEO9 on 18/04/2012 01:04:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000