New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jade19curtis
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  20:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night my Royal ball python (26months) started making a barking sound, i have crossed referenced it with the computer and all that comes up is respiratory infection, i have checked him over, his enclosure is up to temp, he has no foam/froth/bubbles out of his nostrils or mouth, he's happy enough~ What else could it be? if any thing? Kind regards

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  21:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is he still doing it? Maybe he's swallowed a bit of substrate - what do you use, and do you feed him in his viv?

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  21:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome, sorry to hear you're worried.

I haven't dealt with RI personally and hope never to have to, but I've read that snakes can cough with RI, which might account for the noise your snake is making.They can make clicking or whiffling noises though when going into shed, as the loose skin may block nostrils temporarily.

Personally, if in any doubt, I'd take the snake to a reptile vet - best be safe than sorry. There's a link here -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=623

but if none of these vets are in your area just ask, as someone might know of a vet near to you.

All the very best with him.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  11:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, how's he doing?

I just happened to think - there are two kinds of hiss that a royal can make. One is the conventional 'ssssssssssss' sound - the other is a sound I only ever heard from Shahi as a hatchling, a kind of hollow 'haaah!' noise. He was grumpy and in shed and I'd disturbed him, so of course he told me off lol.

Is this anything like the noise your lad made? Because if so, it's normal.

Hope all is well with him.

Go to Top of Page

Jade19curtis
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  17:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.
Thanks for all that replied.
He seems ok~ Kept a close eye on him the last few days.
going to see if he takes his feed this evening.
He also seems to spend a lot of time in his water tank (NOT MITES)
Was going to take him to the vet, but as he hasn't made this noise since, do i bother until he does it again?

Thanks All.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  17:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, it's hard to say without seeing or hearing the snake, but any worries and I would ring the vet for advice on whether to take him in. Most vets are happy to help in this way.

About his soaking - I would keep an eye on that, especially in view of your worries about RI, and also, I don't want to be alarmist, but when my carpet arrived, she soaked regularly for 3 weeks before I saw mites, which puzzled me until I realised that until they reach adulthood (at the age of 3 weeks) mites are near-invisible. So although I hope there are no mites, could be a good idea to keep inspecting the bowl.

Having said all that, I do hope he continues ok now and that you have no more worries about him but if you do, the forum's here. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  21:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Oscar soaked for a few weeks before I discovered he had mites.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000