New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BuyOneGetOne
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  01:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! My name is Tania and I'm from the US. I found this board tonight after having had enough with a particular popular american ball python board. I came upon this forum after quite a bit of searching for an alternative place to go for my snake advice. Thank God I knew ball pythons are also known as royal pythons or I would have missed this one!! Btw, they are called only Ball Pythons here.

My question is a common one, I'm sure. Should I house two royal pythons together or not? After learning what I have so far I think they should be kept seperately. I'm just curious to see how strongly you guys feel about it one way or the other.

I have 2 baby royal pythons, one male and one female. I got them in February when I thought I knew what I needed to know to keep them healthy, but after a two month crash course, I'm ready to make some changes including separating them and replacing the heating system. Unfortunately, I purchased them both from a questionable source and the female is sick and being cared for by an exotics veterinarian. She has not grown since I brought her home despite eating as much as the male. Then in the last week she started looking weak and regurgitated her food. The vet will be keeping her for 3 days and running some tests. Since they had been living together until now, it's possible that it is only a matter of time before he gets sick too.

What type of enclosure do most of you keep your snakes in? Glass aquarium, plastic tub, or something else?

Thanks!!

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  02:01:37  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
I'm currently in the USA on holiday, everyone is probably asleep back home.
The most common type of encloseure used in uk is a wooden vivarium for an adult no larger than heated with ir bulb or ceramic , or a 2ft for younger snakes,hatchlings we normally use rubs, which are a small plastic box, heated with heat mat. glass tanks just don't hold the heat that well, also the humidity gets far to high. I have been to a few shops here and seen a few vivs in pet shops. Snakes are generally not housed together in the uk. there are a alot of posts in here about this. Check out housing snakes together. on the top of page. But in my opinion If you have a sick snake that's a good reason for them not to be housed together. Anyway I'm sure some more people will be around tomorrow with some more help for you.
The search facility on this site is amazing , you will find lots of info there.
Go to Top of Page

BuyOneGetOne
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  02:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I had separated them using a plastic (egg crate type) divider but this was only a temporary solution until next week. This temporary solution keeps them physically separated but not safe from contracting eachother's illnesses. I have watched the video here on how to make a rub. Until what age should I keep them in rubs? They are 5 months old now.

It's interesting that the argument against glass enclosures in the u.s. includes inability to maintain high enough humidity. But here, it is too much humidity. Perhaps that has more to do with the climate where you live. It can be humid where ai live but not enough to saturate a tank. It's actually more difficult to maintain humidity in a glass tank where I live.

Ultimately what I want to do is to keep them in a glass aquarium tank separated my an acrilic divider. This divider which I already have as of today completely seals off one side of the tank from the other from floor to the very top and sealed all the way around with sylicone sealant.

The rest of my plan is to have a screen cover on the top, under tank heatng, a hood light which I built covering half this screen cover on the top (not because they need the light, but because I already have it). To address what I've read about how snakes feel insecure in an open area like a glass tank, I want to cover the back and sides with something (not sure yet what but perhaps a thin wood paneling or hard paper product that is easily replaceable so I wouldn't need to clean it. Just toss and replace.

Please let me know what you think of what I've described for the aquarium. I like glass enclosure because it is best way to view the snakes without needing to disturb them.

Edited by - BuyOneGetOne on 27/04/2012 02:53:10
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  03:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum - I live in the UK but I can't sleep lol.

I'm a viv freak - though I do have some plastic tubs, mats and stats for emergencies. But I'm not au fait with keeping snakes in glass enclosures. There's a member on here from Florida - she'll be familiar with US humidity problems. I'm pretty open minded about cohabbing snakes but I wouldn't personally keep two royals together, especially two of the opposite sex as they need to be of breeding age and weight, otherwise the female can die of eggbinding if she's mated too young (she needs to be at least 1500g and in her third winter) and also because of the possible long fasts they can do during the mating season - if one was eating and the other wasn't, and was restless, as they can also be on occasion, I feel they could be stressed, but that's just my personal opinion.

I'm really sorry to hear of your female's illness and hope the vet manages to trace the cause and treat her successfully, and that your boy doesn't come down with the same bug. Fingers crossed for them both and all the very best with them.

ps Richard - hope you're having a great time over there!

Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  03:19:09  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi bats,
I'm having an amazing time, here seen loads of amazing snakes
Really hot 91 today.
Sorry to tell you that lol

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hi and welcome to the forum - I live in the UK but I can't sleep lol.

I'm a viv freak - though I do have some plastic tubs, mats and stats for emergencies. But I'm not au fait with keeping snakes in glass enclosures. There's a member on here from Florida - she'll be familiar with US humidity problems. I'm pretty open minded about cohabbing snakes but I wouldn't personally keep two royals together, especially two of the opposite sex as they need to be of breeding age and weight, otherwise the female can die of eggbinding if she's mated too young (she needs to be at least 1500g and in her third winter) and also because of the possible long fasts they can do during the mating season - if one was eating and the other wasn't, and was restless, as they can also be on occasion, I feel they could be stressed, but that's just my personal opinion.

I'm really sorry to hear of your female's illness and hope the vet manages to trace the cause and treat her successfully, and that your boy doesn't come down with the same bug. Fingers crossed for them both and all the very best with them.

ps Richard - hope you're having a great time over there!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  11:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Richard - you jammy devil lol!

Glad you're having good hols - look forward to pics when you come back.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  11:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey bogo!
like most snake keepers I try to avoid cohabiting snakes if possible but that being said i've cohabited royals under temporary conditions before and didn't encounter a single problem I wouldn't think twice about doing it again as long as it wasn't permanent.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  14:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the other side of the coin, I have two adults, one of each who have cohabited for their whole life, currently 7 years old

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

BuyOneGetOne
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  15:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

the other side of the coin, I have two adults, one of each who have cohabited for their whole life, currently 7 years old

Interesting!! They are opposite sex and have they ever tried to breed?
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  19:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, I had 6 large eggs 6 weeks ago, but unfortunately they were all slugs :(

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

brendon
Snake Mite

15 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  23:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi tanya you will read a lot saying pythons just need a tub with paper and warmth and a water bowl and cave and they are happy and its true :) however if you have time and money and imagination oh and room you can really go for it so if you can go for it go for it i love to look into my vivarium seeing the flooring and plants draped out of 1 corner over the hollowed out log and the stone cave on the other side with it looking like a proper habitat but as long as they are warm and have a cave it does not matter its what we want to give them in the end ..... good luck with the snakes :) its a shame your having a problem :(
If you fancy going all out have a look on youtube ther will be some amazing setups on there :)

montys dad
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  12:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

yes, I had 6 large eggs 6 weeks ago, but unfortunately they were all slugs :(

Sorry to hear, Mark.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic