Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Best way to turn an aquarium into a vivarium?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BuyOneGetOne
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  16:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a large 75gallon aquarium I used to use for a freshwater planted tank. Now it's been vacated and I'd like to turn it into a suitable viv for my snakes. I have two young royal pythons.

I want to split this in half down the middle using a piece of acrylic which I've already gotten cut to size. This divider completely seals off one side of the tank from the other from floor to the very top and sealed all the way around with sylicone sealant.

The rest of my plan is to install under the tank heatng, a screen cover on the top, a hood light which I built covering half this screen cover on the top. It's big and holds 4 high wattage lights. This is what lighted my planted tank. I know the pythons don't need this lighting, but it will provide good daytime sunlight simulation for viewing purposes.

To address what I've read about how snakes feel insecure in an open area like a glass tank, I want to cover the back and sides with something (not sure yet what but perhaps a thin wood paneling or hard paper product. This will give them a sense I security and make this look more like a vivarium than an aquarium. I don't know how humidity will keep with a screen top. Our biggest problem with my climate is maintaining a high enough humidity with the screen top. Heat should not be a problem. I will get a thermostat to regulate the temp. If the humidity proves to be too low, I'll look for misters. Doing it by hand with a spray bottle forever doesn't appeal to me. I would like the environment to be on auto-pilot is at all possible.

Anyway, pease let me know what you think of what I've described for this aquarium/vivarium. I have it worked out in my head but I have never set up a good environment for snakes before. I want to get it ready by the end of next week!!

Thanks!

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  17:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome by the way, it sounds as though you've got everything covered however having two sources of heat (heat mat underneath and lights above ) may also make it difficult to maintain a heat range from hot to cold so you could try just using an infared bulb above this will give you both heat and light to view your snakes all be it red light and make sure there is some sort of guard seperating the snakes from the bulbs that is strong enough to with stand snakey curiosity lol so they don't end up being burnt. Oh and if you use some sort of wood panelling make sure it's sealed as over time the humidity will start to rot it, it may take years but it will happen, and after all that good luck

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  00:19:38  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
An idea for a little more cover and also some insulation maybe an exoterra background, they are easy to cut to size. the only problem I have with them is that the snakes like to go behind it.
Like reptilemadd said a bulb would be much better, if you had just one hud infrared bulb, you could put it in the middle to heat both sides but also keep the gradient, hope that makes sense its late in the uk lol

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page