Feeding in or out of the viv?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ianj2012
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  06:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning all, what's everyone's experiences and opinions?
If in the viv do they get defensive? If out of viv what in? and do they regurgitate when you move them back to the viv?
Cheers.

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  07:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian :)

You'll get mixed views on this but I feed all of mine in a separate tub, and they all have their own.
We lift them back into their viv or faun, carefully avoiding the bulge and touch wood none have ever regurgitated.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

matthewsaint
Yearling

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  07:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to feed mine out of the his RUB and put him in a plastic fish tank. He was striking, constricting and then just leaving the mouse/rat.. so I put him back into his RUB with the mouse in the warm end, 1 hour later it would be gone. I have now started feeding him inside his RUB and he's taking it and eating it straight away and never missed a feed this way. I think he maybe likes the security of his own home lol

1.0 normal
0.1 pastel
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  11:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey. I've always fed mine inside their rubs and I've had no issues whatsoever. The only thing I was worried about was them ingesting substrate, which is in my case, aspen. When I've watched them feeding, little bits of aspen do get stuck to the mouse and eaten, but still no problems. After all, in the wild I imagine all sorts of dirt and leaves get eaten along with the prey item.

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

HaydenK
Yearling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  19:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inside the RUB is my best opinion to give. They seem to feel much more secure and they can then snuggle right back up in bed without having to be lifted. :)

3.0.0 Normals
1.0.0 Pastel
0.2.0 Normals
0.1.0 Amel Corn

1.2.0 Bearded Dragons (CHRISTMAS PRESENT)
Go to Top of Page

ianj2012
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  19:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, I fed saphira last night in the viv, no tricks or anything and she took, so happy days
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  21:43:19  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i usually feed mine in there vivs but have tried converting to taking out of the viv, this did not work as they all refused to eat, i will be trying again after they have taken a few in the viv.

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

alex
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  21:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed monty in a seperate tub, but thats mostly because im worried about him swallowing some orchard bark. With regards to agression I dont think it makes ant difference. From what ive learnt etc If she is a fussy feeder your better feeding in the viv.
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  22:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed mine in a green recycling bin with astroturf on the bottom.

She only ever gets put in there to eat hence the minute I put her in she's ready and waiting. She always eats quite happily in there and I lift her out quite happily afterwards and she's never regurgitated.

In fact, when she goes in, she sits in a strike position waiting and if I come too close to the box she stretches up towards me as if to say, 'feed me! feed me!'

I wouldn't like to offer her my warm finger when in the box that's for sure. Also a better method as it's easier to show people if they want to watch- the box can be put anywhere and she feels fairly secure although on 'iffy' days then I keep her in my room.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its whatever your snake is happiest with. I feed mine inside the vivarium and it works every time. He has injested substrate in the past but there have been no adverse effects, presumably they can deal with a certain amount of 'vegetation' as in the wild this would be normal. Besides, an animal that can digest bones isn't going to worry too much about a bit of substrate.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000