Driftwood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  21:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I was round at a friends earlier, and he has a small forest behind his house, so went for a wonder to scrounge some wood for the vivs. I spotted a good branch hanging down from a very tall tree (oak, maybe?) - it was completely dead, just been suspended by other branches, so we pulled it down, and snapped it into decent size chunks.

The wood is completely dry, no sap, no soggy rotten sections, and as it was in the air rather than laid on the ground, is bone dry too, no moss or anything. I've given each piece a good check over for any termites or ants, or any moss / mushrooms, and am happy that's it's clear.

Is this safe to put in the vivs? Can snakes really catch anything from dead wood? Surely they would be accustomed to it in the wild, no??

Any advice appreciated :)

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  21:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as long as its not from any conifer type trees its ok.
i would still give it a scrub/soak in f10 or water an bleach then leave it somwhere warm to dry right out for a couple of weeks

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000