Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  18:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah don't worry about that - as long as the temp is maintained, the bulb light doesn't matter. In fact it's good as there's power in reserve for a cold night (can still happen at this time of year.) In summer, in my viv stack in my south facing front bedroom, I can scarcely see any light from my bulbs at all lol. But they're still working.

Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  18:53:36  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ah don't worry about that - as long as the temp is maintained, the bulb light doesn't matter. In fact it's good as there's power in reserve for a cold night (can still happen at this time of year.) In summer, in my viv stack in my south facing front bedroom, I can scarcely see any light from my bulbs at all lol. But they're still working.

Lol up here in newcastle cold nights are what we get most the time

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  19:02:36  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One last question
How hot does something have to be before it would burn a snake, if it doesn't burn my hand could it still burn my snake, just wondering as things in the area of the bulb feel fairly hot to touch but not too hot to burn me, like his hide feels quite hot but I can keep my hand on it should I move it somewhere further from the lamp?

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  19:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're pretty wise. Obviously you wouldn't let them coil round an unguarded bulb or sleep on an unstatted mat, as royals sense heat chiefly through the nasal pits and not via any part of the body as mammals do. But I've never seen mine basking atop a hide and although I've seen snakes doing their gymnastics round a bulb guard (heart in mouth!)they do move away fairly soon. It's a common sense thing but I reckon that as long as you've got stat/guard in place, you've nothing to fear on the whole.

Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  19:33:24  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I'm just being paranoid about the hide lol don't want the place he feels safest to be a danger to him, just to clarify if it can't burn me it won't burn him?

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  19:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you can hold your hand on it then it will be fine, once the viv is up to temp an settled the guard will cool down a bit.
most of mine only feel slightly warm once its all settled

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  19:46:19  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks Chris my mind is at rest :-)

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  23:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have scales so their skin could probably withstand more heat than our unprotected skin so yeah if you can put your hand on it then it wont burn the snake.

When everything is first switched on the cold end wont be hot enough, the light guards will be really hot but as everything gets upto temperature over the next few days the whole vivarium will warm up and then the bulb is dimmed by the stat and only needs very little power to maintain the temperature. My bulbs barely feel warm to the touch. It can take a good while for everything to very slowly settle in to what its meant to me doing and you may need to make the odd adjustment here and there until you get it spot on but once it gets there you dont need to do anything but enjoy your snake.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000