New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  15:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I got my pinstripe female nearly two weeks ago. I tried to feed her three times however she is completely not interested in eating. I tried to give her mouse and rats - unfortunately no luck. I even brained one of them - still nothing. How long should I wait before "force feeding"? this little lady (100g) worries me a lot as I will have to go on 12 days holiday and my friend will only be able to replace the water for them. Can she wait 12 days or may so long break be dangerous for so young royal python. In the shop where I got them from I was told she is feeding without any problems but in my house she looks like she doesn't know what the food is. She seems not to be stressed at all now as not handled, temps are fine and she is in 9ltrs rub at the minute. I'm not sure if everything is ok with her.

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  16:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Absolutely wait, 12 days is like skipping lunch for a snake. Royals don't eat consistently it's not a problem it's just how their diet works, keep track of her weight and only consider assist-feeding (Never force) if her weight drops a lot in a short period of time.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  16:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm monitoring her weight and for the last 12 days she hasn't lost even 1g but I'm not really sure when she had her last dinner as I don't trust people in the reptile shops. I can see her drinking every night and only that may keep her weight on the same level. Thanks for answer Kelfezond.
Go to Top of Page

smiffys pythons
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  19:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you assist feed
Go to Top of Page

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  19:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smiffys pythons

how do you assist feed

From what I understand, unless you're very competent you shouldn't attempt it.

1.0.0 Pastel Royal - Monty
0.1.0 Amel Corn - Connie (Still MIA)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn - Summer
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - awaiting name
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  20:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Assist feeding is done by placing the meal into the mouth of the snake and then passing the snake carefully back home

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  20:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're right, Lincs - I reckon the best way is to get someone competent to show you. I sort of got spooked into it -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6497&SearchTerms=another+shahi-versary

but I'd had a lot of experience in animal nursing, and I had no idea when he'd fed previously. Still I reckon I was lucky - and so was he.

Hi, Konrad, good luck with your girl - it's early days yet, especially if she's not losing weight. They often like to settle in slowly and she sounds a decent weight too. Enjoy your hols and hope you come back to a hungry little girl who grabs her rat.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  22:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah its very important to know the different between assist feeding and force feeding. Assist feeding is ususally using the nose of the mouse to gently open the snakes mouth (with gentle pressure on the jaws if required, this is why you need to know what you are doing) once they open their mouth you put the mouse into their mouth, they should bite down and begin eating. Thats all you do.
Force feeding is a very different ball game and involves forcing the mouse down their throat.

A few weeks not feeding after moving house is normal Royal behaviour. My Royal took 3 weeks to eat and you only offer once a week as offering too often can cause stress and this stops them feeding. Drinking is a good sign they are in working order, they get a lot of the water they require from the food they eat but no food no water so they drink more to compensate. Its a lot more common that owners panic and try thinking of alternatives when its just good old time and patience that is required. By Royal fasted for 4 months and lost practically no weight at all, its what they do very well.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  22:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only assisted 4 times in all - but maybe I'm lucky - I've never had to put pressure on the snake's jaw. In my experience, as soon as you gently nudge the snake's lips with the food item (a smaller food item than normal is a good idea) the snake begins to open its mouth and then you gently insert the food ie wiggle it slowly in. As soon as it touches the back of the snake's mouth, with any luck, the feeding response kicks in and the snake takes by itself. Shahi coiled; Shiloh, whose head was smaller than my little fingernail, wriggled and chomped, but that mouse tail went down.

Yeah, force-feeding is very different; the food item has to be eased down every millimetre of the way; the snake doesn't help and it's a bit like stuffing a sausage; I wouldn't like to have to do this but sometimes there's no option if it means keeping a snake alive. However this really is worst case scenario stuff; not many snake keepers have to do this.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  22:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your answers. Now you've calmed me down. Hopefully she will be fine as you are saying. Cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000