Feed Me Seymour!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  22:23:50  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok so this might seem abit of a strange post. And one I never thought I woukd be posting.
But my baby Royal, Chief. Is doing just fine. I have had him for awhile now and hes feeding perfectly. Pooing too. And has had his first shedding too.
And the part I am concerned about is his apitite.
Now most folk who post on these forums are.more concerned about there Royals who are picky eaters or not eating at all.
Chief on the other hand cant get enough!
When he arrived home I was told by the pet store he was being a very fussy eater. So much in fact they were reluctant to sell him to me as they didnt want me buying a ''dodgy'' python.
This didnt stop me. In fact if anything just fueled me on to give him a more setteled life with me. And turn him around.
So that is what I did, hes been home afew month now. Has setteled in great. Ate with me pretty much from the get go. Loves being handeld. And has become a big part of my family. We love him dearly.
But this past two weeks ive noticed all he seems to have on hisbkind is food
Everytime I enter his viv to change his water or to pick up any mess hes hunting me down lol
As of yet I have escaped a nip. I know to expect it. I guess its part of being a Royal owner. But I will continue to avoid this at every cost lol
But yeah basically. Hes eating ALOT. I know hes a growing boy.
But I was wondering what should he be eating on avarage?
So far this week hes had 3 large adult mice. I know some say there too big for his size. As hes Nov 11 hatching. This is his second week where.he has this bug appetite.
Should I up his meal size? Or what do I do?? Lol

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  22:30:47  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
P.S: Sorry for me posting this in the completly wrong place on the forums.
I use my Android and have just spotted this to be in the wrong place.
Sorry!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  22:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - little python of horrors!

This is the feeding guide I learned when joining this forum almost 2 years ago -

feed 10/15% of royal's weight and feed a royal weighing -

0-400g - every 5 days
400-800g - every 7 days
800-1200g - every 10 days
1200g+ - every 14 days

But congrats on the feeding response, little guy sounds content and greedy as every royal should be - perfect!

ps - considered renaming him Audrey ....???

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  22:48:04  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

LOL - little python of horrors!

This is the feeding guide I learned when joining this forum almost 2 years ago -

feed 10/15% of royal's weight and feed a royal weighing -

0-400g - every 5 days
400-800g - every 7 days
800-1200g - every 10 days
1200g+ - every 14 days

But congrats on the feeding response, little guy sounds content and greedy as every royal should be - perfect!

ps - considered renaming him Audrey ....???

Lmao! I think that'll certainly behis nickname.
I just cant get over it! He would happily eat more if i let him too.
Im just so happy he seems to be happy and doing great.
costing me a small fortune. But i wouldnt change him for the world.
Thanks for the feeding guide. But i dont think he could stick to it as i feel he would try to eat me if he did lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  17:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm ...while he's got this brilliant appetite on him, why not consider changing him over to rats? They might satisfy him more and it'll always stand you and him in good stead for when he's a big lad and needs a big meal.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  17:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha makes a change to hear about a royal that wont stop eating, ive been useing the same feeding guide since i joined here.
my little one frank chased me out of his viv the other day as he thought i was going to steal his rat

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  22:31:27  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm ...while he's got this brilliant appetite on him, why not consider changing him over to rats? They might satisfy him more and it'll always stand you and him in good stead for when he's a big lad and needs a big meal.

I think I may have to. As hes again looking for more lunch tonight.
Hes lighting fast and I know its gonna now be a matter of time before he snaps at me thinking I am food!
What about the size issue with the rats? Will he manage a baby rat ok? He has no issues with mice at all lol

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  22:33:34  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

haha makes a change to hear about a royal that wont stop eating, ive been useing the same feeding guide since i joined here.
my little one frank chased me out of his viv the other day as he thought i was going to steal his rat

Lol I know right!
I had a quick search on the forums to see if anyone had posted anything similar.
But I didnt spot anything. I am happy hes happy. But at the same time I am itching for a cuddle lol
If I tried having a sneeky hold at the moment he would try swallowing me I am certain of it lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  22:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a guide - the most accurate I know, although weights/terminology do differ and a lot of people go by girth ie rat girth no bigger than royal's.

http://anfrozenfoods.co.uk/#/weights/4532934660

Don't let him gorge though - a fat snake has the same problems as a fat human, although with a royal this is mitigated by the great fast - but even a sparing feeder doesn't lose much weight.

But yeah, very nice to hear of a royal with a great appetite!

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  22:57:37  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a guide - the most accurate I know, although weights/terminology do differ and a lot of people go by girth ie rat girth no bigger than royal's.

http://anfrozenfoods.co.uk/#/weights/4532934660

Don't let him gorge though - a fat snake has the same problems as a fat human, although with a royal this is mitigated by the great fast - but even a sparing feeder doesn't lose much weight.

But yeah, very nice to hear of a royal with a great appetite!

Thank you BATS.
I'll try switching from mice to slightly bigger rats and hope that settles him down abit.
I'm still a lottle thrown by his sudden large apetite!

Go to Top of Page

mayummo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  23:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mines is like that too mate never missed a feed yet (touchwood) av had her from november and she is on weaner rats or large mice she takes both anytime of th day
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  04:14:13  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've always been of the mindset to feed them a prey item that is about as big around as the largest part of the snake's body. The key is to feed them something that gives them a good sized lump, but not a "bulging" lump, as that could be overfeeding and might lead to health troubles down the road (especially if they don't get much exercise). My male is my largest at the moment and he has always been a garbage pail (he'll eat just about anything I give him), but my female stays smaller because she won't eat anything but live adult mice. I have tried everything from frozen/thawed mice/rats to live crawler rats, but she is so picky. She also won't eat mice that have spots or color on them, only if they are all white. It's frustrating as heck, as I'd like her to gain more weight, but I also don't want her to stop eating altogether. Sounds like you're lucky with your guy, though. :) Enjoy it while it lasts! ;) :D

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  17:09:20  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mayummo

mines is like that too mate never missed a feed yet (touchwood) av had her from november and she is on weaner rats or large mice she takes both anytime of th day

I am happy hes eating well as I bet you are too mate.
I was thinkin the sudden climate change may have something to do with it maybe.
I dunno lol

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  17:10:49  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

I've always been of the mindset to feed them a prey item that is about as big around as the largest part of the snake's body. The key is to feed them something that gives them a good sized lump, but not a "bulging" lump, as that could be overfeeding and might lead to health troubles down the road (especially if they don't get much exercise). My male is my largest at the moment and he has always been a garbage pail (he'll eat just about anything I give him), but my female stays smaller because she won't eat anything but live adult mice. I have tried everything from frozen/thawed mice/rats to live crawler rats, but she is so picky. She also won't eat mice that have spots or color on them, only if they are all white. It's frustrating as heck, as I'd like her to gain more weight, but I also don't want her to stop eating altogether. Sounds like you're lucky with your guy, though. :) Enjoy it while it lasts! ;) :D

Yeah I guess you're right. I should enjoy it while it lasts! Lol
Chief has since slept..lots lol
Thanks for your post!

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  23:49:42  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SZqpzRyqGs&list=UUMmzJ2cPbeAYOKSg8c1FHuA&index=1&feature=plcp

Well here he is! The beast who is Chief.

this is his first handle since his mad feast frenzy lol

Edited by - ShadEO9 on 30/05/2012 11:38:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000