Feeding a newby
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  08:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked Monty up last night (pics on the photo thread) and he's settled in great. Every time I go past his viv though he comes out of his hide and up to the glass, like he's hoping I'm bringing food.

I know people say to leave them a week, but is that just because they're likely to refuse? He's not eaten since 5th May, is it worth offering or should I just leave him?

1.0.0 Pastel Royal - Monty
0.1.0 Amel Corn - Connie (Still MIA)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn - Summer
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - awaiting name
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats

Edited by - Lincsfox on 25/05/2012 08:38:00

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  08:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can offer if you want, no harm in it :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

HaydenK
Yearling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  09:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd try him, I fed ratchet about 2 days after I got him because he was a little like that. It worked out well.
I think after the feed they seem to settle down a little better.

Clank (which I also got yestoday was being a little "strikey" for no reason and the reptile shop I got him from had him on mice which probably wouldn't touch the edges of the guy so I will try Clank with a rat on Sunday.

3.0.0 Normals
1.0.0 Pastel
0.2.0 Normals
0.1.0 Amel Corn

1.2.0 Bearded Dragons (CHRISTMAS PRESENT)

Edited by - HaydenK on 25/05/2012 09:19:58
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  10:09:14  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My snake Marty has been the same since I took the rat out that he seemed to have no interest in and now he's sniffing around or poking his head out of his cave in an s like he's ready to strike

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  15:03:18  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some eat right away, some don't eat for months. Give it a go!

SherriR
Go to Top of Page

mattc142
Hatchling

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  16:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey every one i picked up corey from my reptile center yesterday,and he has doing the same thing sniffing around like he was hungry. i know he hadnt eaten since last thursday so ive given him a mouse today. he had a few miss strikes and then let go of the mouse after a succesfull strike, i thort he wasnt going to have it but went into the room 15 mins later and he was there knockin it down his neck.so very chuffed

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  16:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Matt :) always good to get that first feed out the way

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  18:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel Matt as I bought my little girl last Monday and had her out for the first time today. We had a little play and she was due for a feed so I thought I would give it a go. I was concerned because of the reputation royals have and the fact that she had taken a lot in being handled by me after no contact with anyone for a week. I fed her out of the viv in a seperate container and warmed the mouse slightly. She had a little snif and then struck, coiled and the mouse was history. I woudl like to say it was a treat to watch but she was so damned quick it just didn't register. It's a great feeling when they eat for the first time and long may it continue.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  18:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mattc142

he had a few miss strikes and then let go of the mouse after a succesfull strike,

sounds like your food could have done with been slightly warmer, well done anyway.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000