New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  22:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello people. Just a quick question, well this week I have successfully switched my royals from large mice to small weaner rats, some of the weaner rats are much bigger than the large mice they was on. Should I change the length of time between feeds. Say from 5 days to 7? Due to the increase in size of food, to give them a little longer to digest. Ive seen the feeding guide on here that says any royal under 400g to be fed every 5 days. They both weigh around 300g. Thank you in advance :)

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  23:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a bugger.

I wish I'd got my last consignment of rodents from A&N, who give specific weights which are reliable. As to the others, a 'weaner' can mean anything from a tiddler to a bloody capybara ...very very annoying!

As long as you go by the girth guide ie feed a rat whose girth is no bigger than the royal's girth, you're safe to go by Blackecho's guide. A young animal needs to eat more than an adult and no harm.

I really wouldn't feed a rodent with a larger girth than a royal, to that royal. In fact I'd sooner under-feed than over-feed.

Sorry if this isn't much help - realise that if you're buying from a shop you may have to take what you can get.

Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  05:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a bugger. The rats weigh range from 32g to the largest which is 56g. They are roughly the same girth as our boys are lovely and chunky :). And at 300g each I calculate 10-15% of there body weight to be around 45g so should be ok, just wanted some reassurance.

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000