Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  16:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They aren't calling and there's no sign atm so here's hoping, I don't like separating if they had laid, but on the other hand all our sailing gear is stacked in there beside the generator. Besides the fact that low swooping birds freak me out.

My fear of moths started when I was a toddler, cept then I went crazy if a housefly was in my bedroom, i'd yell 'There's a pub in here!!' yeah I was terrified of houseflies lol can you imagine that all year *G*

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  20:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluttering creatures and a regular face full of insects is all part of my job. I work with bats (the winged mammals, not the snake keeping one on this forum)and naturally it's always the night shift.
A head torch is standard equipment. You have all seen what effect a light bulb has on moths and other nocturnal insects. You can imagine what it's like when I turn the head torch on. It gets difficult to see sometimes.
Also sitting in a pitch dark cave with just the dripping of water and the fluttering of the bats wings as the only sounds is fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  20:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiders scare the hell outta me but with ebony and DK (the insect patrol) they don't get far in my house...

My girlfriend once stayed under the duvet for ten mins without coming out while I battled with a daddy long legs to get him out the bedroom, was a battle well fought

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  20:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strawb

Fluttering creatures and a regular face full of insects is all part of my job. I work with bats (the winged mammals, not the snake keeping one on this forum)and naturally it's always the night shift.
A head torch is standard equipment. You have all seen what effect a light bulb has on moths and other nocturnal insects. You can imagine what it's like when I turn the head torch on. It gets difficult to see sometimes.
Also sitting in a pitch dark cave with just the dripping of water and the fluttering of the bats wings as the only sounds is fantastic.

LOL - you work with bats?????

Good on yer!

Coooooollll!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  20:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ps On very hot nights in inner city Wakefield there is sometimes a bat in these back alleys; you can hear the papery flittering of his wings as he swoops up and down after insects and watch him zooming up and down in the dark ...sooo cool!

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  20:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bats, like many other creatures e.g. sharks, spiders and of course snakes, have undeservedly bad reputations. With bats it's a mixture of ignorance, bad press (Bram Stokers Dracula has a lot to answer for) and old wives tales that nobody ever bothers to question. For example, many people believe bats fly into your hair. Despite this obviously not being of any evolutionary benefit to the bat, as I point out to people when clearing up this ridiculous belief, has anybody ever known somebody who has had a bat fly into their syrup?
People also seem to think bats are at least the size of a crow and are very surprised when I show them a pipistrelle bat that as an adult can sit on your thumb. Britain's largest bat, the noctule, can fit into the palm of your hand.
Sorry about the rant, but animal phobias with no logical basis really gets my goat.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  21:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love bats, they are beautiful little creatures, I live by a river and in the middle of a park and woodland, every night I can hear the bats squeaking as they fly by, I love to sit and watch them at dusk and there is a place I go that I call bat-alley as they seem to gather there on mass. I think its because its dark and between trees and just next to the river where flies gather too. I've seen on my balcony once, it was tiny and had the cutest face. I would love to put up some bat boxes on my building but its not allowed.

Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  21:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thing is Strawb, many of the phobia, if not all have no logical explaination if you sit and dissect, but it makes the fear no less and not only animal phobias. There are scientific names for a phobia of just about anything in everyday life.

Sharks pose a very real threat, so that fear is understandable.
I do believe that mankind has retained primitive insticts, basic survival instict and inbuilt fear of creatures that could and would harm in some situations, so when encountered the subconsious takes over 'Fight or flight'

Hmm but I have opened a topic that could be debated for hours..Evolution.. so i'll shut up now lol

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2012 :  23:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have a phobia of locusts but I got over that one by keeping a couple as pets. I'm the sort of person that finds it very difficult to have a phobia of anything. I think if you respect all creatures and are sensible then you shouldn't have anything bad happen to you.

For example, when I'm out in Africa, sometimes as part of the job I have to be on foot in lion country. Do I have a fear of lions? No. Would I like to come across one while on foot? No.

Same goes with spiders and the such. Wouldn't like to have one run over my face but I'm hoping that if I give it no reason to come near me / bite me then it won't.

(P.S. This is coming from someone that feels bad to kill a daddy long legs or an ant... there's no way I could allow a fear to get the better of me and kill something for no reason other than it scared me.)

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

NikkiB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  10:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to moths - if you are really terrified of them and/or are fed up with them eating your clothes, and want to do something about it, here are some tips:

1. REMOVE – Take everything out of your wardrobes and drawers and thoroughly vacuum.
2. CLEAN - Clean all storage AND clothes, as moths love traces of food and sweat on fabrics.
3. KILL – Choose a method of eradicating your moth population from your home. There are many sprays, powders and more that will kill all stages of the moth from eggs and larvae to adults.
4. DETER – As prevention is the best cure, protect your fabrics with chemical moth repellents or cedar wood or natural anti moth scented sachets, depending on your preference, to stop moths returning. For expensive garments, it’s also a good idea to find air tight storage solutions.
5. MONITOR - Place pheromone moth traps close to affected areas to monitor for adult moths which will also break the breeding cycle and reduce their numbers.
6. REFRESH - Keep replacing deterrents every 3 to 6 months, as they will wear out and lose their scents in time. Keeping on top of this problem will keep you and your clothes safe.

You can get loads more info and help from http://www.mothprevention.com. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  10:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*grins* Nikki good post but I keep all windows closed at night, so not many get inside, and those that do either get 'treatment' from me, or captured and put back outside if Steve is home at the time. So one way or another they don't get to stay inside long enough to lay eggs lol

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  11:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the only moth you need fear in regard to clothes -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tineola_bisselliella

And it's the larvae that eat cloth.

The rest of them leave their larvae out of doors to nosh on plants - not much comfort of course if you're phobic and there's a whopper zooming round the lampshade.

I remember a similar thread to this ages ago on TCS, and I pointed out that the only good thing about slugs is that they can't fly ...imaging one flubbering around the light and going sssss on the bulb. (Well, I don't MIND slugs, in fact some are beautiful but I get a bit narked when they choose to have a go at my favourite plants.)

Yeah, Strawb, I'd heard that myth about bats getting in your hair. Considering their brilliant radar system that's just ridiculous. I've walked through a wood full of bats and although they flew all round me, none of them even touched me.

Go to Top of Page

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  17:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with the spider people. I was bitten by one as a kid, I remember it vividly, I picked it up, and cupped my hands to take it out as my mother was scared, and at the time I wasn't, it wasn't even huge, maybe the size of an old 50p. Whilst I was walking it to put it in the garden it bit me, bloody hurt as well, and my hand swelled up like a goodun. I dropped it and it got a little size 13 in it's head, and I have to say I don't feel an ounce of guilt for it. Since then I've been petrified. I went to stay with some friends, drove 200 miles to Southampton to find out that he's got a tarantula since I'd last seen him. refused to sleep in the house, booked into a travel lodge!

1.0.0 Pastel Royal - Monty
0.1.0 Amel Corn - Connie (Still MIA)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn - Summer
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - awaiting name
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly