Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Best to keep feeding mice or straight to rats?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HaydenK
Yearling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  19:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey, So I tried to feed Clank yestoday but he seemed to be having none of it. I tried to feed him a rat. He has only ever been on mice. Is it best if I slowly take him off mice or should I keep trying with rats until he gives in?
What's the best way of getting him off mice?
(trying to avoid ever giving him a mouse)

3.0.0 Normals
1.0.0 Pastel
0.2.0 Normals
0.1.0 Amel Corn

1.2.0 Bearded Dragons (CHRISTMAS PRESENT)

Edited by - HaydenK on 28/05/2012 19:37:58

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  19:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it does depend on the individual snake. Some change with no problem; others you might have to try a bit of psychology.

A good trick is to defrost the rat with a mouse, or even with a bit of used mouse bedding if you can get it.

He's new isn't he? I'd personally stick to what he's used to for a few feeds, and then, once he's settled and got used to you, offer him a rat and see what he does. This is what I intend to do with Sharif as he too is on mice atm.

Good luck to us both!

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  17:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a keeper of quite a few Royals of which one is a mouse eater (had her for over 3 years now) i`ll say this now, get rats and stick to them otherwise you`ll end up in my position with a 2kg royal who is addicted to them and quite frankly its a pain in the butt.
Pet shops have alot to answer for in my opinion, not that they care once they`ve sold you said snake, but most feed mice to their young Royals keeping them small and making them easier to sell as any young animal/reptile always looks cute compared to the grown adult. Anyway thats my rant over
Get rats and stick with them and your snake will eat. The only way i can get mine to eat is to give her a mouse then just as its bum is about to disappear i have to gently hold a rats head and psuh it into her mouth then she`ll take it otherwise she just turns her head in disgust. I keep meaning to make a video because this question comes up time and time again and can save a new owner a serious amount of grief/worry.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  19:27:43  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

As a keeper of quite a few Royals of which one is a mouse eater (had her for over 3 years now) i`ll say this now, get rats and stick to them otherwise you`ll end up in my position with a 2kg royal who is addicted to them and quite frankly its a pain in the butt.
Pet shops have alot to answer for in my opinion, not that they care once they`ve sold you said snake, but most feed mice to their young Royals keeping them small and making them easier to sell as any young animal/reptile always looks cute compared to the grown adult. Anyway thats my rant over
Get rats and stick with them and your snake will eat. The only way i can get mine to eat is to give her a mouse then just as its bum is about to disappear i have to gently hold a rats head and psuh it into her mouth then she`ll take it otherwise she just turns her head in disgust. I keep meaning to make a video because this question comes up time and time again and can save a new owner a serious amount of grief/worry.

So she has the mouse and a rat together?

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  21:03:36  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My adult male is a garbage pail, he'll eat anything and everything I throw in there. My female, however, is a picky little turd. She will only eat adult mice and ONLY if they are all white. I have tried white rat crawlers, but she just doesn't see them as a food source. :\ Maybe I will have to try your trick of "follow feeding" her a rat crawler, Hodgie. :D It sure would be nice if she picked up a bit more weight from the rats, rather than doing a couple of mice and her staying small. ;)

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  10:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlb1981

[quote]
So she has the mouse and a rat together?

As she is eating the mouse i have to gently place the rats nose in her mouth, then she will eat it, otherwise there is no chance. Its that or the cost of 6-7 mice per week.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  12:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of ones that will only ever take mice ; you could try 'scenting' the rats by rubbing the mouse all over them first and fool your little one that way? It worked with my vanilla an absolute treat :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  13:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem, starting to stress me out lol. I'll try that scenting technique see if that works

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000