HELP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AmateurSnoop
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:25:28  Show Profile  Send AmateurSnoop a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya everyone,
I need some advice if anyone can help me?
I have to do a move to the Channel Islands and I do not know the best way to transport my snake there. He is only a year old so is currently being quite aggressive, which has been increased due to the moving and him being unsettled numerous times from room to room in the house. The only way at the moment we can think to move him is for my mum to go on the ferry. Only thing is that would mean he would have to be without his heater and light etc for about 28hours. Would this be damaging for his health?
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to take him please and make it as stress free for him as possible?

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe if you take a couple of covered hot water bottles, and refill as they cool down, or a heat mat as most ferries have electicity in the cabins. As they neither need or appreciate light, that won't be an issue :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome.

I've bought snakes and had them couriered to me - which means that the snake is packed up in:-

a suitably sized box with a layer of kitchen roll, within a polybox, surrounded by crumpled newspaper and warmed by one of those heat pack thingies, within more crumpled newspaper in a stout cardboard box. All with airholes of course.

This package leaves the shop in the afternoon and then spends the night at the courier's depot, before leaving for its destination in the morning. The whole process can take 20 hours at least but even the smallest snake has been fine. They might arrive a bit cool and comatose, but soon perk up in their warm viv - and at this time of year, temps (we hope) are going to be reasonable.

This is my supplier - http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/contactus

They are really helpful and I think that if you rang them for advice, they would tell you the best way to package a snake for its 'long haul' journey.

Good luck with the move and hope he settles well in his new home.

Edited by - n/a on 03/06/2012 16:48:25
Go to Top of Page

AmateurSnoop
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  19:58:14  Show Profile  Send AmateurSnoop a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, this is brilliant help both of you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000