Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey there guys need some good advice!
my royal is still a baby boy about 10 months old and he tends to go on and off his food, he will eat well for a few weeks then all of a sudden he just isnt interested and when he does this when i try to feed him but he bites me! he eats well even when shedding but he can sometimes go 4 weeks without eatin anything. ive force fed him a few times because i dont want his weight to drop but hes such a tosser to try and feed. ive tried all the tricks of feeeding such as warming up the food, shoving it in his face, leaving it overnight in his tank and even trying smaller food for him incase he couldnt eat it. im really out of ideas and i dont even know what size food he should be eating anymore, can anyone help??

if its too good to be true then it probably is... unless its royals, gotta have royals

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:43:38  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
To be honest if all your set up is ok and you are happy with it, it is just a royal thing they can go months with out eating so four weeks is nothing.
force feeding really should only be a last resort. As far as food size goes I have always feed roughly 10% of his body weight so example If he weighs 100gms feed a 10gm rat pup.
Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah hes got a good little home with loads of hides and all the correct temps. oh now i feel better! haha he eats better out of his tank and he usually eats around 10pm but sometimes it doesnt always have feeding times like that. How would i weigh him?

if its too good to be true then it probably is... unless its royals, gotta have royals
Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:04:07  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use a set of digital kitchen scales and put him in a mixing bowl.
I always feed my royal when it's dark normally 10 ish as from what I have read about these snakes they are mainly active at night, feeding outside side the viv is a personal choice some people do this to avoid ingesting substrate or just to make sure their snake does not get viv defensive ie strike at you when you get them out as thinking your a food item.
I have always fed my snakes in their vivs.
I normally get the rat out in the morning and leave to thaw out by the viv so hopefully the snake gets a whiff of dinner, then I use a hair dryer and really heat up the head of the rat with the viv door slightly open, if they are interested this normally provokes a response.
That's what works for me. Although every snake is different.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:07:45  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll agree with Richard force\assist feeding is a last resort and if done incorrectly could do more harm than good.

May I ask how often he is handled

in regards to how to weigh him kitchen scales would work fine, what type/size food have you been trying to feed him

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh thought you needed something special!
i feed all my snakes on tuesdays but sometimes it changes because i work late and i thought that might be distressing him that its not regular food. hahah thankyou for your help!

Go to Top of Page

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did loads of research on assisted feeding and ive done it twice but i wont do it again because i dont want to hurt my poor baby!

Hes handled 3/4 times a week for about 30 minutes because he get really grumpy if i dont play with him regularly.

hes on rat pups for the minute because when i try to feed him small rats he takes it then he wont take ne for ages but the rat pups look to small for the size he is at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:50:00  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you tried mice you may get a better feeding response. I am to feed mine 10-15% of thier body weight so I would get him weighed.
does he only strike at you when you are trying to feed him.

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  12:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He refuses mice because he is so use to eating rats and if he does take it he just spits it back out.
Yes, if i try to feed him in his tank he goes for the rat but then gets me instead so i have to wear gloves when i feed him in the tank so he doesnt feel the heat off my hand.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  13:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, you might be better trying tongs. The special reptile tongs are good but pricey - I got a pair given, but also have a couple of pairs of Wilkinson's kitchen/barbie tongs, £2 each (with the soft plastic grips) that work just as well.

If he strikes and grabs, try wiggling the rat, just gently, to simulate a live rodent wriggling. This stimulates a good hard coil and more interest in his dinner (not going to let it go after that struggle.)

But yes, as others have said, royals will fast on and off and he's not such a baby; my first lad Shahi went on his first mating season fast at 6 months. So I don't think you need to worry about assist feeding unless his weight goes down drastically (10/15%). Some royals just do eat on and off - I have 3 doing it this summer but they're all maintaining weight. All the best with him.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000