Heating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sw1fty84
Yearling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  15:15:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sw1fty84's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

Im having heating issues and would like some clearing up.

I currently use Red IR bulbs to heat my Vivs but have been told that mats are better for heating and to just have a bulb on for a few hours of an evening.

Is this right?

What is best for running costs & best for my royals.

Thanks

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  15:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your bulb will be best, royals are large body snakes and don't get on well with heat mats as royals especially inside vivariums it can be dangerous to them. Your bulb should heat the vivarium much easier anyway and as long as you are using a thermostat and guard it's perfectly safe so a much better bet for a royal. You need a heat source on 24/7 for royals so having the bulb on for a few hours won't cut it.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Sw1fty84
Yearling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  15:28:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sw1fty84's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok great thank you.

I do worry sometimes my royals get to close to the guard! The guard itself seems to get very hot.

Im using dimmer stats like i should at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  15:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Your bulb will be best, royals are large body snakes and don't get on well with heat mats as royals especially inside vivariums it can be dangerous to them. Your bulb should heat the vivarium much easier anyway and as long as you are using a thermostat and guard it's perfectly safe so a much better bet for a royal. You need a heat source on 24/7 for royals so having the bulb on for a few hours won't cut it.

+1

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Sw1fty84
Yearling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  15:43:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sw1fty84's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there a wrong and a right way with heating?

I seem to read so many diff views on the matter but have never really got a defo yes or no answer to it.

Ive stuck to using bulbs as its what i see as best
Go to Top of Page

Sw1fty84
Yearling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  15:50:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sw1fty84's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
BTW i ment have the light on for a few hours at night for viewing! Aswel as a heat mat
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  16:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A lot of heating is preference, there are facts that we can follow but at the end of the day people will write guides praising lots of different ways and there will always be people there to say those ways are wrong.

The way you are doing it is the way most of us do it over here at TRP :)

Some people use a mat and a light but when I did this set up everything was way too hot and you need two thermostats so you can control the light and mat, that's double the cost, if you have the light un-statted the place gets far too hot, if the mat is unstatted it can be very dangerous and burn the royals belly easier.

Go to Top of Page

Sw1fty84
Yearling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  17:09:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sw1fty84's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great thank you again. Ill defo stick to the IRs then.

Whats the best size bulb for a 3ft viv? im using 100w Reb bulb at the mo
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  17:13:59  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That will be plenty of you're using a dimming thermostat you'll be fine with that or anything higher :-)

Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  17:35:16  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
let us know how you get on with your temps using the ir bulb, as i have the same size viv as you and im using a 150w ir bulb and im not entirely happy with my cold end temps still. im thinking of trying ceramic or buying an oil filled radiator to bring ambient room temps up
my temps at minute are 32.4 hot end and 21.4 cool end

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

Sw1fty84
Yearling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  19:19:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sw1fty84's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm getting about 34 in the hot and 23.5 cold. I've got a ES to BC adapter which moves the bulb lower which really seems to help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000