New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  16:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little girl went into blue last week and I put a damp moss box in her viv but she didn't use it, I suppose I could have put her in there and barricaded the door but that seemed excessive. I therefore hung a damp flannel in the viv which helped to raise the general humidity to around 75-80% and also moved the water to the hot end. When she eventually shed she was having real problems and it was firmly attached to her head and wasn't moving. I took her out after checking back on her after about half an hour and gave her a soak and let her crawl through a damp towel. After several attempts it appeared to eventually come off so I was quite happy.

I have two questions:-

1. Is there anything else I can do to try and make things easier for her next time?

2. She seems to have one piece of shed left on one scale on the top of her head. Is it advisable to try and remove this using the method above, baring in mind she doesn't like her head touched or should I leave it.

ok a third question, if I leave it will it cause her any harm or make shedding in the future a problem in that area?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  17:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when mine are in shed as soon as i notice them go blue i place a wet flannel on top of the hot hide under the heat bulb, re wet it every day and it works fine for me

if you want to remove the skin on the head you could try popping her in a wet pillow case with a damp towel tie the top and pop back in the viv for about 20mins, as she moves around the friction should remove the stuck bit.

i have never left any skin on a snake so can't help with last question

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  17:56:06  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I put a damp sock inside the warm hide and iv always had good results doing so, you could also try (if using bark) to put a little unbaked bark in which will raise the humidity but will then dry out.

I personally dont think one scale is anything to worry about tbh but thats just my opinion

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  18:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, all the solutions above are good.

When Shahi was a baby I was worried by two or three tiny patches of stuck shed on his back...stuck, it was crozzled and had clearly been neglected since he hatched out in Ghana. I posted on here and was reassured that it would shed out eventually, and it did. Eyecaps and tailtip are the main thing, and no-one likes to leave a bit of stuck shed, but with a tiny bit like that, and with her being head-shy, I think you'll be all right to leave it rather than go on towelling it and stressing her out.

I now leave water bowls in the hot end of all my adult royals' vivs permanently. Can't do this with the youngest Sharif as atm he has a mat, but he's shed once for me and I put him a damp flannel in his warm end and he was fine except for a stuck tailtip which came off with bathing.

Good luck with her next shed.

Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  09:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help guys and I'll take your advice when she sheds next.
Go to Top of Page

coxcats
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
584 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  12:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im currently trying the wet flannel method!

Royals - Sas, Boris & Ria
Boas - 1 called Titch until we can think of a name for her!
Cats - Felix, Becky, Max & Willow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000