Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  09:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Well Hubby went and picked up 2 breeding weight females, so he's a very happy bunny right now.

My only problem is one of them is a multi feeder. I don't mind that really, but the guy who sold her said that if you caught her at the end of her 1st multi you could follow on feed her with rats as she swallowed to keep feeding costs down.

So my question is, how do you 'follow on' feed? As I have no clue!

I knew I should have gone with Hubby to collect the snakes! LOL

All advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  10:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know 'follow on feeding' you hold the nose of the 2nd rodent to the snake's mouth as soon as the first is swallowed.
I have never tried it myself, but I have read about it :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  11:32:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've done it before, and as Janie says, as the first one is swallowed, tail just disappeared offer the 2nd one.

Obviously, ideally you'd just try to get them converted onto a single appropriately sized prey item.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  17:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to do it with my 2kg normal female as i made the mistake when i was a new keeper of keeping her on mice.(thats what the shop advised). She turns up her nose in disgust if i offer a rat but will literally take off your hand if you have a mouse. Royals can and generally will become addicted to multi`s if offered to much, people have described them a royals version of chocolate.
The way i do it though is to hold the rat with tongs and as the mouses bum is just about to disappear i gently place the nose of the rat into her open mouth. Hold onto the rat so you are takeing the weight and when she has a good hold of it slowly release your grip.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 :  10:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice!! I'll give it a go when I feed her. I'd much rather be able to feed one Multimammate and the rest as Rats. 3-4 large Multi's will get expensive and time consuming (that said I'll still do it if I have to, of course!) so fingers crossed!

Incidentally, anyone heard of a Multimammate feeder converting to Rats? lol

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 :  13:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best you can do is to try rubbing a thawed rat against a multi thats also thawed out, best bet is to do this whilst using a hair dryer so you get abit of a scent whilst keeping the rat warm you may have abit of luck.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 19/06/2012 13:45:15
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  21:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'll give that a go!

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  22:36:43  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is this normal practise? i mean if im feeding multiple rats/mice for any reason, i wait till the first is down and just offer the second

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  07:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, well She took her Multimammate well but even before got the rat close to her mouth so got herself in to an awkward position and the follow on didn't work! I then defrosted her a 2nd Multimammate but she wasn't interested!
I've obviously fudged up somehow, I'll have to try again fresh next week!

BigDon ... I have no idea, I've never done it before. As far as I can tell the previous owner was doing it as she won't take Mice or Rats!

Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  19:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I managed to feed her follow on with a 2nd Multimammate this week! :)

Next week I'll attempt the Rat again! *fingers crossed!*

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000