New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coxcats
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
584 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  13:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive read quite a few posts about assist feeding and I was just wondering exactly what that means? How do you do it? and is it for non-eaters? Luckily my boys are pigs but Im intrigued!

Royals - Sas, Boris & Ria
Boas - 1 called Titch until we can think of a name for her!
Cats - Felix, Becky, Max & Willow

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  13:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Assist feeding is for snakes that have refused to the point that they are losing large amounts of bodyweight and simply must eat. Before we assist feed we have to try all other feeding methods that don't include getting physical and stressing the snake out.

Assist feeding is done by pinning the snake behind it's jaw with your fingers then introducing the head of a small rodent to the mouth, instinct will tell the snake to bite as we are pinning it and it wants to be released. At this point we carefully place the snake back down and hope and pray that he decides to eat whats in his mouth. Assist-feeding and force-feeding are often mixed up, force feeding is when you will literally have to push the meal to the point of no return into the snake, which is highly stressful and not recommended.

Having force and assist fed before I highly recommend trying a live-feed first as it seems to have magical properties to entice the snake to eat :/

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

coxcats
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
584 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  13:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks for that. Now at least I know what people are talking about!

Royals - Sas, Boris & Ria
Boas - 1 called Titch until we can think of a name for her!
Cats - Felix, Becky, Max & Willow
Go to Top of Page

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  12:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelf,

I'm still having problems with Monty, I've been injecting him antibiotics for a mouth infection for the last 3 weeks, last one tomorrow and he still won't eat, he had lost about 10% of his body weight before the vets gave him a formula meal which stabled his weight, but it's going down again now. I can take him back to the vets for another "snake protein shake" but I really want him feeding. Is live worth a try, if so what, he was on weaner rats, so would an adult mice be ok?

1.0.0 Pastel Royal - Monty
0.1.0 Amel Corn - Connie (Still MIA)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn - Summer
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - awaiting name
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  13:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never fed live mice only multi's which are rather easily dispatched, if he's been ill I'd be careful about live feeding as he might be weakened and you don't want him getting a bite at this stage. Best bet is to discuss it with your vet when you next take him back. Personally I'd get a couple of assist feeds in him first to get his strength up then go live, that's how I did it with angel but that being said angel was never ill, only underweight.
As always, check with a reptile vet first.

Go to Top of Page

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  14:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers kelf, the vet seems to prefer this formula stuff to assisted feeding, but I don't see how that is enticing them to take a mouse/rat next time?

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  15:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd assume he's relying on the whole "he'll eat eventually" thing :)

Go to Top of Page

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  16:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess so, not tried him for over a week so got a weaner rat out, will warm it up, brain it, and keep my fingers crossed, maybe he'll surprise me.

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  16:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let's hope so!

Go to Top of Page

Lincsfox
Yearling

121 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  00:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly no joy with the feeding, even stated up extra late :-(

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Ella
1.0.0 Pug - Bentley
1.1.0 Rugrats
Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  12:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
assist feeding isn't necessarily as harsh as quoted here. My snake is an assist feeder (currently, hoping to have that changed soon!)

With my guy I literally had to hold him behind the head, not hard at all. Put the fuzzy to his nose and gently coaxed his mouth open. This action did not force him to do a "bite" reflex as previously stated. He just gently opened his mouth, wrapped it round the fuzzy and began curling up. At this point I placed him back into his enclosure and he finished his meal.

Now I'm not saying this is for everyone and most probably should only be done as last resort when snake is losing weight etc as mentioned. I am also sure there is some form of stress involved but I really do not think it is that bad once the snake is used to this practice.

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000