Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  18:23:13  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hate to be the naysayer here, but I am mildly concerned about the people who are suggesting to you to use the coco fiber bricks for the substrate. Cresties like to hunt for bugs, and their vision is seriously crappy. It is EXTREMELY easy for them to mistake the coco fiber pieces for bugs and they are very likely to eat it. Small doses may not be harmful, but after a while if it continues, it is going to cause impaction and the death of your Crestie. Now I know that there are people who have kept their Cresties on coco fiber for years without any negative effect. All well and good and I consider them darned lucky. I, being a responsible pet owner, would not want to take the chance in possibly being the cause of my Crestie's death. These little guys do so much better on paper towel substrates, where they can not mistake the paper towel for a food item.

As to the heat issue, as long as your room stays 72-78F you will not need an additional heat source. With my Crestie, I never used a UTH until winter hit (I live in Utah, USA and the winters here are very cold). Once the temps dropped below 70F in the room, I would then stick a UTH on one side by the vines so that they could hang out there where it was warm if needed. Just so you know...these little guys do NOT do well in a high temperature setting and anything above 85F will stress and possibly kill your Crestie. A really great care sheet on Cresties can be found on Pangea's website here: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-care-sheet-en.html

Sorry to butt in, and I am in no way trying to put anyone here down for the way they care for their Crestie. I just wanted to provide you with a little info to help you make the best decision possible for your friend, should you decide to get one. I can definitely tell you that they are a truly awesome pet. I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had her. :)

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Mikeyboy1992
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  18:34:31  Show Profile  Click to see Mikeyboy1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This as been known to happen but cresties usually hunt whilst in the trees in the rainforest or on the branches because they go for the insects that climb and walk past them. On the forest floor they are more likely to be eaten by something bigger so they tend to stay high up. The coco fibre is only used to help with humidity and hold moisture, it is adviseable, as I said in my last post, to make sure all the fibre is covered in a half inch layer of orchid bark. This makes it easier to clean and easier for the crestie to determine what is food and what isnt. Also they wont be able to swallow it.
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

I hate to be the naysayer here, but I am mildly concerned about the people who are suggesting to you to use the coco fiber bricks for the substrate. Cresties like to hunt for bugs, and their vision is seriously crappy. It is EXTREMELY easy for them to mistake the coco fiber pieces for bugs and they are very likely to eat it. Small doses may not be harmful, but after a while if it continues, it is going to cause impaction and the death of your Crestie. Now I know that there are people who have kept their Cresties on coco fiber for years without any negative effect. All well and good and I consider them darned lucky. I, being a responsible pet owner, would not want to take the chance in possibly being the cause of my Crestie's death. These little guys do so much better on paper towel substrates, where they can not mistake the paper towel for a food item.

As to the heat issue, as long as your room stays 72-78F you will not need an additional heat source. With my Crestie, I never used a UTH until winter hit (I live in Utah, USA and the winters here are very cold). Once the temps dropped below 70F in the room, I would then stick a UTH on one side by the vines so that they could hang out there where it was warm if needed. Just so you know...these little guys do NOT do well in a high temperature setting and anything above 85F will stress and possibly kill your Crestie. A really great care sheet on Cresties can be found on Pangea's website here: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-care-sheet-en.html

Sorry to butt in, and I am in no way trying to put anyone here down for the way they care for their Crestie. I just wanted to provide you with a little info to help you make the best decision possible for your friend, should you decide to get one. I can definitely tell you that they are a truly awesome pet. I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had her. :)

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  21:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coco brick is used because when its properly prepared it is easily passed should it be accidentally ingested (its why its also used for frogs etc) but as bugs are a treat and not a diet a little bit of soft, easily passed fibre is a far better option to larger objects such as bark or chips, stones etc that will 100% impact and likely kill the crestie if ingested. If you feed your crestie enough bugs to get impacted its as likely to be the bugs causing it as it is the fibre. The gecko diet is their staple diet and bugs should be a weekly treat or even not at all.

As for their eyesight, they see very well in low light and have their eyes facing forward a touch so have good depth perception too though they do get a bit over eager and launch themselves mouth open at their prey and end up with prey + whatever its on (finger, fibre etc). Its not impossible that impaction can happen but the only way to prevent it is a bare floor and who wants that.

Edited by - Lotabob on 29/06/2012 21:21:15
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  09:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks peoples : )

I use the plantation soil for my Giant Snails and have decided to use it for my new Giant Hissers too so I'm familiar with how it works. I know coconut fiber is the same to use.
I still have a bag full of orchid bark that was for Tig, and it's the big chip stuff (didn't want him swollowing the smaller chips). It's far too big for even an adult Crestie to swallow. Would that be OK to use?

I know not to use sand. I've also thought about using tiles, maybe with a pebble pattern or something like that, or sheets of sandpaper instead. I'd like to use something natural really, but as a last option would either of those be OK?

Even in the winter my house is just as warm. If not a little bit warmer at times. But I'd always have a heatmat at hand just in case.

Laws: that is a very cheaky looking little face ; )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000