New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  20:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a small amount of trouble getting my baby royal to feed recently. She refused her first 4 feeds then I had to go on holiday for a fortnight. I left her in the safe hands of my dad and she fed twice with him while I was away. Tonight was her feed night and I was sceptical as she always seems more cautious of me compared to my dad, I presume because I was the one who bought her home and she may associate me with stress lol?

But, even though I tried earlier than I'd of liked (8:15) I thawed a fuzzy then warmed under the lamp (she's inside a rub inside a viv) then warmed the head nice and hot with the hair dryer, as I was warming with the hair dryer she was right out her hide. Offered the food and within seconds she has struck and constricted it. She wrapped round it right managing to 'pop' the prey some how and something from inside was now hanging outside haha! Took it down tail first though the silly girl haha.

Such a good feeling watching her feed finally! So happy.

She's still right out of her hide as of she's looking for more, she's normally a shy snake and stays in her hide other than in the middle of the night or swapping hides. Reckon it might be worth trying 2 fuzzes next time?

Carl

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  20:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great i still love watching my snakes eat, makes a nice mess when they pop the rat/mouse.
you want to feed 10-15% of her body weight or the same thickness as her widest part.
if the fuzzy is too small just try her on the next size up as long as its not too big

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  22:16:13  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
awww i'm well chuffed she's eating for you!

Some royals will look like they want more but will be awkward to get another feed into (mine's one of them!) so maybe get her into a routine of eating over a couple weeks or so, then move up a size if appropriate (use the size guide ChrisC advises).

But if you want to try and give her an extra fuzzy next time, give it a whirl, she might take it quite happily!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  01:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have 3 fuzzies left now so I think next time I'll try her on two and if she doesn't take the second ill pop it back In the freezer if it's not been out long. Once they have all gone I may try the next size up, although even the fuzzy seems large down her throat. Possibly because I'm just not used to seeing snakes eat though.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  00:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried her on 2 tonight. She seemed like she was starving and came out the rub and was roaming round the (currently unfurnished) viv. Offered the first which she took after finally realising she can't eat them sideways so decided to eat it tail first instead. Offered second and she took that one down head first in under a minute! Then I had to try and get her back in the rub without her panicking too much. I had to get her in there before I went to bed as my bulb doesn't currently have a guard (I have one, just waiting for a chance to fit it lol).

So yeah, I'll be buying the next size up tomorrow. That way I still have 1 fuzzy left incase she doesn't take the next one. She's getting bigger now though, over 2 foot easily now and a nice chunky size. Just waiting for her to poo to see how much she's gained. She now has 5 fuzzys in her since her last poo!
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  19:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad she's feeding well for you! It can get so frustrating when you can't get them feeding! Try to get the smallest weaners you can at first, as even some of the 'small' ones can be heavier than they look! And all of them are a fair jump up from a fuzzy!

Congrats on her taking the 2 fuzzies, she must be a hungry girl! Sounds like she's making up for the 4 weeks she didn't feed! LOL

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  17:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I hated her not feeding, I was having dreams about it and all sorts. I look back now and realise it was nothing to worry about but while it's happening it's really worrying. Yeah I'm gonna try her on Friday night but as I still have a fuzzy left I'm gonna thaw them both incase the other is too big for her. I think she'll take one easy enough after how fast she took a fat fuzzy bit I just hope she thinks she can too! She did seem to be hungry even though she was eating, hopefully a sign she needs bigger prey.
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  18:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You get used to fussy Royal feeding habits after a while, and they are all different! Good luck with the Weaner!

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000