New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  09:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously, my mother is worse than me when it comes to collecting pets!

So she bought one of these http://www.petspantry.tv/acatalog/Lee_s-Herp-Habitat-Lizard-Tank.html with the idea of keeping her new Giant Hissers in it. She got the biggest size and managed to find it for just under 30 quid! It's a really nice tank, with a proper sliding mesh lid, an island and a hide at the top with plenty of room for water, peat or sand. But when it's came she says it's got gaps in it where the baby Roaches could get out.
She could send it back, but it's going to cost her so she's keeping it. The only little problem with that is now, of course, she has to find something to live in there. Natrally ; )

She kept Frogs and Toads as a kid. She was telling me how you could buy one, hung up in a bag with Goldfish, for a quid at the petshop "back in them days". And she loves them both... so now she has her eyes set on either a Pacman or some other largish Frog!

So I thought I'd ask, for those of you out there with Pacmans and/or other Froggies, could one live happily in the above tank? I should think so 'cause it's huge. Two foot long. But I know Pacmans get quite big for a Frog. Personally I think that would be a very lucky Frog!

What do peoples think?

Just me and my zoo.

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  11:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no idea on frogs but you should be able to seal the holes with aquarium sealant

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  09:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid it's too late, she's decided she want Frogs and that's that! X )

She's now decided she want's some Square Pattern Frogs. Anyone know anything on these? I have to admit I don't think I'd heard of them before she'd mentioned them : /

I'm just asking 'cause I'm curious really. Never kept Frogs before.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  23:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah I was actually looking at one of those for Waka when he gets a bit bigger. Its pretty much 2 foot wide which is epic for a tank like that. Not sure about heating it with a lamp though might be a bit hot for a frog but sat on top of a vivarium is all it needs normally.

I have never heard nor seen a square pattern frog and google has given me nothing to go on either lol. But as for horned frogs, I love Waka to bits, he is a grump but not aggressive and eats very well and so easy to keep, only have to feed him and clean him.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  10:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think she's going to heat it via a heatmat on the outside side of the tank. There is a place for a strip light, but no clips or anything. Personally I think it might get too hot for most Animals if there was a light inside the tank, but I'm just guessing there.

Nope, can't find them either. I'll have to ask her to send me photos. She's getting them from a place in Scotland at twenty quid each. I think she's getting two 'cause they only grow the size of a tennis ball. Apparently they can be quite entertaining and are active hunters too. She wanted Frogs "that do something". They sound quite funny really : )

Yep, the tank does look really good. It's solid plastic and the island thing in the middle can serve a perpose rather than just be in the way. I sugested that she might like to use some spray paint to spray the underneath of the outside of the tank with though, 'cause clear plastic doesn't make the island look all that natural. I think she's going to do that, make it green or brown looking. Other than that it looks like a good tank. Good for different Animals to live in, Frogs, Insects, Beatles. Just as long as they're too big to get through the gaps, which are small.

Lotabob, I'm sure it would be great for Waka. Not sure how big he'll get but the tank has plenty of room. It is big, I wasn't quite expecting it to be as big-looking as it is. The lid clips on good too, not flimsy or loose.
But don't pay 70 quid for it! My mam got it for 30, so I'll ask her where from for you ; )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  10:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so my mam sent me some links to show you what she's getting. I found out that Square Marked Toads, not Frogs (my mistake) actually have a load of different names. Probably the reason that neither of us could find them!

This is where she's getting them from:
http://www.shop.strictlyexotics.com/

This is them. She's getting two:
http://shop.strictlyexotics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_87&products_id=520
If you look up their scientific name you'll find all the other names they go by as well as some really nice photos.

And, for Lotabob, this is where my mam bought her tank from:
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-clearance-1330/clearance-stock-1332/swell-herp-habitat-301011.html
She said that the only little fault she could mention is that the lid is very tight fitting and can need a bit of practic to get it off right. Also the sliding mesh lid inside the main one could do with a little bit of vaselene round the sides just to make it slide a bit smoother. But again that's just 'cause it fits so tightly and securely. It's just nit-picking really. She said that you should defo get one for Waka ; )

Hope that helps?

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000