Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  12:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine is about the same I'd imagine, the hedgehog viv is at 20c without heating so I'd imagine if anything my rooms a little colder, add to that my rack is next to the window and my room has a window on both sides which creates a draught :P

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  14:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for help. I think I will give it last chance, rout some groves, buy a heat cable and see how that works. I'm thinking about cutting them every 50 mm and covering 50% of the rub. If that won't work I will put even more cable till I get my temps right. Some of heat cables are even 12m long so it has to work. I would try with lids too but it would be too much work and I would have to drill too many holes, which I don't really want to do.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  15:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My next rack is going to be lidless too :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

scorch
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2012 :  16:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya from a new member **waves**

Just an observation....but if the reflective material is in between the mat and the rub, will it not reflect the heat away from the rub and into the back of the rack rather than reflect the heat away from the rack and heating the rubs better ?

I use a heated cabinet/rack for my Tarantulas with a foil type insulated backing, the statted heat source is then on top of this, it stops heat loss through the back and helps focus the heat in the right direction.

As it reflects rather than conducts heat this may be why you are not getting the temps up as high as you need. I'm building a rack with a similar heating set up for my snakes. Hope you got it sorted out in the end :)
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2012 :  18:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sorted this out when I used heat cable. You can actually feel they get nice and warm. I wouldn't go for mats again. Heat reflective materials are on side and on the back walls. Aluminium tape is on the bottom of each level. There is nothing in between the cable and rub so I'm not loosing any heat now.Heat mat were something that I should never use in the first place. To me they are just to weak.
Go to Top of Page

scorch
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2012 :  11:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, glad you sorted it out :)

I am with you on heat cables, so much easier and more effective, not to mention tidier :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000