Rub help?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  11:54:17  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a few questions regarding rub setup for my cornsnake as the faun is a pain in the behind for getting access lol
so i have bought a real rub(the one with blue handles/clips) and im wondering does it need raised up so its not sitting directly on heat mat or are the honey comb sections on the bottom enough? And also I've heard young corns can escape from gap between rub and lid, this looks to be to small a gap to me but i don't want to risk it so how can i solve that problem if it is correct what I've heard?

Thanks
Carl

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  11:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of any snakes escaping from traditional rubs, that's why we use them :) The box will be fine directly on the heat mat :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  14:36:46  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am only just trying a rub for the first time and after alot of research and paranoia about my royal burning her underside I desired to place cd cases between the rub and the heat mate, this is more for my own piece of mind tho

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  19:47:50  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks guys, I've just put some of that foam draught stopper you get for doors on the rim of the lid so there's no gap at all now just to be on the safe side

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  21:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The draught stopper is adhesive! You MUST make sure that the snake can't get caught on it including when the lid is off. I Have a RUB for my Housie but he was small enough to get through the gaps but he is just big enough to not be able to escape and will be moving in soon. I tested the draught excluder stuff but very quickly the adhesive bit became exposed so I scrapped that idea.

My corn escaped through a 6mm air hole in a feeding tub, I was there so he didn't get far, he was about 6 months old at the time.

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  21:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You don't need to make any modifications to a rub except drill some ventilation holes. It'll be perfectly fine sat on the heat mat, heat mats are contact heaters so don't heat air/space very well. If you have a gap between the rub and mat you'll greatly reduce the heat that gets to your snake

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  22:42:31  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks rob I'll make sure none of the sticky side is exposed and if it starts showing I'll have to think of something else

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  23:29:45  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fezza

You don't need to make any modifications to a rub except drill some ventilation holes. It'll be perfectly fine sat on the heat mat, heat mats are contact heaters so don't heat air/space very well. If you have a gap between the rub and mat you'll greatly reduce the heat that gets to your snake

Just double checked my tempertures are perfect and im using cd cases, athou I understand what your saying about heat mats surely if the tempertures are correct, monitered and run throu a stat it does not matter what's between a mat and rub, some material will conduct heat well others may reduce heat.

On the other hand im making my mat work harder than it needs to, and in theory even with the cases im sill gunna have the correct heat so the same amount of chance of burning her underbelly, but like i said above this is more for my piece of mind

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl

Edited by - Danno91 on 07/07/2012 23:32:08
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  23:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have housed two of my royals in rubs One sill in one and my older one has moved to viv due to him getting older as long as you have your mat stated their is no need for anything inbetween the mat and rub as many local rep shops and big breeders will tell you

But I can also see where you are coming from

Edited by - Pythonwizard on 07/07/2012 23:39:42
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  07:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danno91

quote:
Originally posted by Fezza

Just double checked my tempertures are perfect and im using cd cases, athou I understand what your saying about heat mats surely if the tempertures are correct, monitered and run throu a stat it does not matter what's between a mat and rub, some material will conduct heat well others may reduce heat.

On the other hand im making my mat work harder than it needs to, and in theory even with the cases im sill gunna have the correct heat so the same amount of chance of burning her underbelly, but like i said above this is more for my piece of mind

Too right, if it works for you why change it

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  10:03:14  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Few pics of the setup

still not to sure about the gap around the lid might have to try something else

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas