bearded dragons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  14:57:18  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont think I have ever posted here about my bearded dragons but now is a better time then ever,

I start with we bought these as two females a couple of years ago and where what I promised my girlfriend for letting me keep royals.

they have lived together since we got them and never had any big issues, we had taken them to a reptile shop to have them sexed from an early age, we where told 2 females, (can you guess where this is going)

We have always had slight concerns as one was growing alot faster then the other in the belly area and thought one was underweight,it was then I decided that we should seperste them as one was probaly dominating the other (we where wrong)

I bought all the equipment to move them into there own vivs and I i needed was a heat source for the second Viv,

Last couple of month we noticed the little one picking on the big one and I thought he had got bored of being the little one (I was Wrong)

I got 17 missed calls off my gf while I was at work yesterday so I called her to be told that we had 21 eggs in the bearded dragon tank, I was a little shocked at this and told her to leave them till I got home.

I done some research (a little late) and agent home with loads of quick fix ideas as we had no incubator and was not expecting any eggs, unfotunatly I got home t o see the eggs where now passed it as I did not see them earlier I can't be sure if they where infirtule or we had killed them by not knowing,

So now I've been out bought all I need just I case she has another clutch, so something I was not planing on breading has happened without me knowing, I am gutted with what has happened to the eggs bit will be prepared next time I will add pictures of both dragons and the eggs later.

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  00:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not an unusual story with reptiles. As long as you have now separated them then you have done all you can. As for the eggs I would be tempted to just stick them all straight into the freezer, its harsh I know but there is already far too many beardies out there, supply is far outweighing demand (even though demand is huge). Its not that you are killing them you are just stopping them developing into anything. If you do want to incubate them then that is OK too, pet shops will take them from you once they are a certain size but not expect them to even come close to covering the cost of feeding and homing them for the few weeks before they go to them.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  09:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, you should defo seperate them. Otherwise the male will costantly harrass the female and she will never have a break from laying. She'll probably die young as a result.

Beardies should never be kept together, it's not natural for them. That's my oppinion anyway due to all the horrable stories I've read about Beardies killing eachother. People always swear they were fine till it happened which is to say that you might not ever get any clues before it does.

Keep them seperate, it's better for both of them : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  23:05:02  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry I never followed this on but its update time,

Yes they have been rehomed into there own vivs, I changed the set up slightly and they both now have a cat litter tray filled with playsand.

Now the male is his usual self on and off food hides alot this is something we have got used to

The female, seemed really happy eating well fairly active and basking well, this morning my gf warned me the female had been what I would call burrowing in the sand, so just in from work time to see what she was on about

She has put weight on in her stomach area visually she has definatly been borrowing in her sand

Could this be a second clutch, what other signs should I be looking for, if this is the case I will be taking them the ful way I know I won't make anything money wise but educationally would be great.

All advice welcome

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  08:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I believe it could be a second clutch. You need to make sure that sand is deep or she won't lay and it could cause problems for her. But other than that is she's seeming interesting in the sand and digging then I'd leave her be and just keep a close eye on her. Don't handle her and try to avoid anything stressful, loud noises etc.
Did she lay fine the first time? If so then she should know what to do and get on with it herself. And of course you already have the incubator so now is the time to get it ready. It will need heating up for a while, days is preferable to get everything stable ready or your new challenge.

I would get your male seen by his vet though, 'cause that's defo not normal Beardie behaviour. Hiding and off food usually means they're not well. He could have parasites, worms, something like that. You should have him checked to make sure 'cause they can be nasty things.

You've done the right thing in seperating them though and that was one of the main things.

Congrats on any future eggs : )

And good luck!

Just me and my zoo.

Edited by - BlueDragon on 15/08/2012 08:25:16
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  12:09:53  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She layed fine without the aid of anywhere to dig, I didn't really pay much attention to them as my love is my snakes they my gf pets she deals with them,well she did I have taken over the majority of it now bar feeding

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000