Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chloelouisexo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  23:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I need help with something as soon as possible

My boyfriend is in the middle of moving and I have agreed to look after his snake and lizard but during the move the snakes heat mat got snapped in the car.

My boyfriends room was rather hot without a heat mat needed but in my house it's unbelievably cold. I've noticed he's stopped eating, but he's not skinny, and also when he get him out he just gets in my jumper and sits there for hours! And I wish I had hours to sit with him.
At the moment were all tight for money, and due to my boyfriend moving he doesn't have the cash for a new heat mat for him. I'm currently trying to substitute some heat with a hot waterbottle wrapped in a towel but he gets under the towel n curls round the hot bottle. I'm worried he's burning him self can anyone suggest and alternative. I've asked loads of pet shops if I can borrow an heat mat and they've all refused .

He's an 2 and a half Amil pink corn snake. And I'd say he's about 4-5ft healthy weight just sooooo cold!!!!

Boxer - William
Hamster - Custard

Currently taking care of an:
Leapord gecko - Joey
Amil pink corn snake - stevey

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  00:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately a heat source has to be a priority for you guys. While there is no heat you should not try to feed him, their digestion needs heat. Ebay is a great place for picking up cheap heat mats or surrey pet supplies.

I would also stop putting in water bottles, raising and then dropping his temperature over and over wont be doing him any good, same goes for handling for the same reason, let him drop cooler and he should slow right down to preserve his energy. I wouldn't leave him that way too long though or it will get sick.

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  08:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A small heat mat can be had for about a tenner, I've got a small mat lying around.

How cold does it get in your house? Reason I ask is, corns can take a bit of a drop for a few weeks, it helps with the breeding season

I'm no cornsnake expert but I'll double check what the lowest temp they hibernate @

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat

Edited by - Fezza on 17/07/2012 08:13:16
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  08:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take from a cornsnake site, it's called brumation not hibernation (different apparently) sorry cornsnake fans

"During brumation, the snake's enclosure should have at least 10cm (4inches) of substrate which will enable the snake to burrow, and their water bowl should be cleaned and refilled daily. The enclosure should be kept at a maximum temperature of 15°C (60°F.) The ideal temperature for brumation is 13°C (55°F.)"

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  12:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh this time of year I honestly wouldn't be too concerned. I didn't realise were talking a corn snake lol. As long as you don't feedit will be perfectly fine dr a few weeks while you get a mat sorted out.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000