Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  17:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Screw it, selling the royals buying more cresties, these things are awesome! haha!
We watched them hunt powder covered crickets today, so fun. Although we have noticed that the male (Leonard) does keep slipping down the glass and falling off things, any ideas how to remedy this or are they just naturally this clumsy? (The glass does need a good clean but not wanted to do it until they're a bit more settled.
The girl (Penny) seems to spend most of her time under the paper towel substrate I thought they were meant to be arboreal! (Any substrate I can use to stop her doing this?)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slipping of the glass isn't a good sign tbh, unless the glass is particularly greasy or wet. As for substrate, can you post a pic of the setup? I use coco husk in mine.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's a typical large arboreal Exo Terra terrarium :)

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my setup, he loves the plant to the left. He never goes in the cave system I built on the right.

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was more after seeing the contents you see, which might explain his lack of interest in spending time off the floor.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah see yours is very minimalistic compared to ours, our one came looking like an explosion in a plastic plant factory ^^ we took out a bit but left most of it in there they seem to really enjoy the cover. It's just the floor that I was concerned about I've read a bit about some substrate being bad for their feet.

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol well so long as the plants are there then they should use it. Try the coco husk, it's great for humidity.

Yoshi was a hatchling when I got him so still quite small, hence the not so busy setup as it would be impossible to handle him.

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS - a good trick I learnt for feeding the CGD is to take a lid from a plastic bottle (pref one that is fairly large) and use velcro tape around the rim, then put the backing to the glass somewhere up near the plants.

That way they can feed up high and when it need topping off you can just tear it off the glass and refill.

This is how I have my drinking water for my arboreal T.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh I have this magnetic rock ledge that sits about halfway up the exo-terra with 2 pots in it for their food :) I mashed up some strawberry, bannana and apple earlier and filled one of the pots not sure if they've eaten from it yet though. Think I'll give the coco husk a try :)

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not always obvious they have eaten so check for foot prints or tongue prints in the food - spread it thin and its easier to see :)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aye Leonard was walking in it earlier for no reason at all xP I'll keep my eyes on them though!

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  21:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is he the one who has problems with the glass? because I think you may have found the answer ;) :P

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  23:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is, yes! The doughnut!

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  10:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read that when Cresties stop sticking to things it might mean they're coming up to a shed. Their feet loose the 'suckyness' 'cause the skin is too loose to grip. Could that be it?

I'm guessing their previous owners were Startrek fans then? ; )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000