The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 question for boa owners

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jonnyc1988 Posted - 03/09/2012 : 21:45:14
Hey, I had set my heart on a madagsacan ground boa, but it has just sold. So think im just gonna get a common boa. Its cheaper and lower humidity so wont need cleaning out as much. I just wont have that "exclusive" factor of a rarer snake. But still love the commons.

My question is: Im wanting to get one as young as possible, coz I like to raise them myself. If I stick it straight in a 3ft viv how long will that last it before I have to go bigger?

So I guess what im asking is, how long does it take for a common boa to get to 4-5ft?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lindstrom Posted - 14/09/2012 : 18:44:08
Or you could get a modular vivexotic?
jonnyc1988 Posted - 04/09/2012 : 18:21:49
Thanks for all your help. Think im gonna be going for a 3ft viv to begin with, then when it outgrows that I can move it into bigger and maybes get myself something new for the 3ft viv. I love decorating vivs so wont have a problem packing it out with hides. So im sure a baby will be fine going straight into a 3ft.
Baobab Posted - 04/09/2012 : 08:40:08
Our common Boa Feanor is coming up for a year old now and she's just reached the four feet mark. We put her straight into a 5*3*3 once she had outgrown her fawn. She certainly gets the use of the space and has about four different places she likes to perch or stretch out.
chrisc Posted - 04/09/2012 : 05:48:11
they do grow fairly fast but a 3x2x2 viv would easily do for a year or more as long as its packed out with plenty of hiding places for a baby one or you may want to keep it in a rub for a few months first.

this is my 5 month old common male, hes around 2ft ish and in a 2ftx20" viv

my 9 month common female whos about 3ft and in a 3x1x1 viv which will do her for a while yet

in a 30ltr rub

and this is william whos about 7ft and in a 5x2x2 but will probarbly go into a 4x2x2 as he doesnt use the space.
he is thought to be around 4-5 years old but as he was a rescue thats just a rough guess

in a 48ltr rub

i would love to get a nice big BCC but not sure ive got the room at the moment theres also a few dwarf boas that are very nice an only get to around 5ft
heres my crawl cay, shes a year old an 2 1/2-3ft

jonnyc1988 Posted - 04/09/2012 : 05:18:55
At what age did she reach 4-5ft? thats when I would have to start thinking about a change of viv if I had it in a 3ft. Ive heard they grow a lot in first year, so seems a waste of money buying a 3ft viv which will only last a year, but I guess that is then freed up for a new snake....

I wouldnt be too fussy, but i think I would have a preference for a male, just for the difference in size. I could manage a female also. And again wouldnt be too fussed between BCI and BCC, I think both are beautiful and again the size difference is minimal.
richard v Posted - 03/09/2012 : 23:44:45
Hey it worked, stupid iphone

richard v Posted - 03/09/2012 : 23:39:56
Hi there , my girl is five years old and just reached 8ft I would post a pic but for some stupid reason my pics won't upload tonight :(

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000