New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  21:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I had set my heart on a madagsacan ground boa, but it has just sold. So think im just gonna get a common boa. Its cheaper and lower humidity so wont need cleaning out as much. I just wont have that "exclusive" factor of a rarer snake. But still love the commons.

My question is: Im wanting to get one as young as possible, coz I like to raise them myself. If I stick it straight in a 3ft viv how long will that last it before I have to go bigger?

So I guess what im asking is, how long does it take for a common boa to get to 4-5ft?

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  23:39:56  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi there , my girl is five years old and just reached 8ft I would post a pic but for some stupid reason my pics won't upload tonight :(
Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  23:44:45  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey it worked, stupid iphone

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  05:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At what age did she reach 4-5ft? thats when I would have to start thinking about a change of viv if I had it in a 3ft. Ive heard they grow a lot in first year, so seems a waste of money buying a 3ft viv which will only last a year, but I guess that is then freed up for a new snake....

I wouldnt be too fussy, but i think I would have a preference for a male, just for the difference in size. I could manage a female also. And again wouldnt be too fussed between BCI and BCC, I think both are beautiful and again the size difference is minimal.

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  05:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they do grow fairly fast but a 3x2x2 viv would easily do for a year or more as long as its packed out with plenty of hiding places for a baby one or you may want to keep it in a rub for a few months first.

this is my 5 month old common male, hes around 2ft ish and in a 2ftx20" viv

my 9 month common female whos about 3ft and in a 3x1x1 viv which will do her for a while yet

in a 30ltr rub

and this is william whos about 7ft and in a 5x2x2 but will probarbly go into a 4x2x2 as he doesnt use the space.
he is thought to be around 4-5 years old but as he was a rescue thats just a rough guess

in a 48ltr rub

i would love to get a nice big BCC but not sure ive got the room at the moment theres also a few dwarf boas that are very nice an only get to around 5ft
heres my crawl cay, shes a year old an 2 1/2-3ft

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2

Edited by - chrisc on 04/09/2012 05:49:50
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  08:40:08  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our common Boa Feanor is coming up for a year old now and she's just reached the four feet mark. We put her straight into a 5*3*3 once she had outgrown her fawn. She certainly gets the use of the space and has about four different places she likes to perch or stretch out.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  18:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help. Think im gonna be going for a 3ft viv to begin with, then when it outgrows that I can move it into bigger and maybes get myself something new for the 3ft viv. I love decorating vivs so wont have a problem packing it out with hides. So im sure a baby will be fine going straight into a 3ft.

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

Lindstrom
Hatchling

United Kingdom
91 Posts