The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 The Cats of Bats' Belfry ...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/01/2012 : 15:26:04
I've always had cats, and since this lot wouldn't fit on my new sig, I think it's time they had a thread of their own.

The finest catty days were in the 80s and 90s, when I bred Siamese and also had assorted moggies, and had to retire from breeding when the cat count got to 10.

By the late 90s most of this lot were geriatric ...even when an animal has lived a full and imperious life and ruled you with a rod of iron, saying goodbye is very sad ...when I parted from my husband and moved here in 1999 I had just three cats, including the last Siamese, to bring with me, and eventually old age, and a lymphoma in the case of Annie the Siamese claimed them too. That was it, I said. No more cats. I didn't want any more cats. Well, I wanted my old cats back, but couldn't have them. So, no more cats.

However, and it's a long story, then, in 2002, I met up with this lot. They had had a home of sorts but it wasn't good and eventually the owner moved out and left them - though by that time they'd latched on to me as a provider of grub and Emily, the first and wildest, even kindly brought me five kittens. One by one across the street. All ginger!

Emily is extremely possessive and bossy. There are times when I'm sure she's a reincarnation of my first Siamese. Here she is in 'we are not amused' mode. But when you get to know her, she smiles a lot ...

Mouse is her cousin. It's a silly name, but Emily, and Mouse's mother, Tess, brought her to my cellar window one day (cellar known as the local feline 'drop in centre'.) I saw this funny little stunted half grown kitten, with short bandy legs and a perfect Siamese head, and said, 'Hullo, Mouse!' The name stuck. She grew and tamed and is now a long-legged beauty with a rich plushy coat and the loudest purr in the world. She's still very shy though and, as you can see, has a lot in common with a royal python ...

Third cat is Finn. He didn't have a home. He was a feral tomcat and his only interest was the un-neutered females. Occasionally he'd favour me with an icy glance but there was no getting near him. Two of Emily's kittens were definitely his, and one of Tess's (oh yes, I got Tess's kittens as well; in fact that's how she got her name, as when I first met her she had a bellyful of little D'Urbervilles ...)

After the girls moved in with me, and the CPL had neutered them for me and rehomed the kittens, Finn reappeared. He was getting on a bit by now. He was thin. He was hungry. He had a huge abscess on his backside. He began to accept food and one day I tricked him with a titbit of tuna into climbing into a cat carrier. The vet had been prewarned and that afternoon, poor Finn, confused and groggy, returned to me, emerged from the carrier, and sat down for a wash ...

He cocked up a hind leg, and recoiled. Where the hell had his balls gone????

I never thought he'd speak to me again. But he did, and soon he moved in. Spraying was a problem. He was a walking water feature at first and the house stunk. But eventually he grew out of it, and he is the friendliest cat ever, which, considering his background, is amazing. I swear he's half golden labrador!

A last word ...my lovely Tess was run over 5 years ago. Still very sadly mourned. The back yard is now wired in and they no longer roam the streets.

So that is the story of Bats' cats. Thanks for looking!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 19/01/2012 : 00:08:50
yup they were brother and sister will try and find some better pics tomorro . Alfie was always dirty looking compared to kizzy , this is my fave pic and its a cope of the original thats why its abit fuzzy
n/a Posted - 19/01/2012 : 00:07:42
Aww they are lovely! Are they brother and sister? Cool cats!
Laws Posted - 18/01/2012 : 23:53:10
ahah got it! Here we are , all the pics when they were bigger are on my old laptop . From this pic u cant tell u apart , but they had different faces :)

Laws Posted - 18/01/2012 : 23:48:00
im having issues with photbucket at the moment i cant get onto the regular site , just the mobile version even tho on im the laptop really annyoing! lol . hmmm comps do my nut in sometimes !
n/a Posted - 18/01/2012 : 23:37:50
Aww thanks, Laws, that's awful about having to part with Alfie and Kizzy ...you've got the boas now but you must still miss the cats ...

Sorry I can't access the pics as I'm not on facebook, well I think that's the reason, drat it ...
Laws Posted - 18/01/2012 : 23:24:14
oh bats ! Lovely cats! i miss my two so much , and Finn is the spit of my old Alfie . Breakups suck and thats why both mine went to someone else as my landlord at the time wouldnt allow me to take them . Now im with sarah however shes ridiculously allergic to them else without a doubt i would have a feline friend . Finn is simply stunning!!! I will have to try and dig some pics out of my two , I still treasure the pics i have of them .
n/a Posted - 18/01/2012 : 22:10:09
Yes, I agree - after Tess's death I never felt easy about mine roaming, even though the street had always been their territory, and now the yard's wired in it's a great weight off my mind, just to leave the back door open and know they can run in and out at leisure.

mystra Posted - 18/01/2012 : 19:12:44
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yes, they should never have encouraged her if they couldn't offer her a permanent home. Or they should have traced the owner or if no owner contacted the CPL as soon as she started to come round. A lot of cats will go on the prowl for free dinners and their owners don't even know they're 'playing away'.

Well, my little catty guest has gone, 9 hours after I found her, and I hope her owners keep her in in future ...

awww, nice to hear they are reunited, although i'm sure she'd have had a wonderful life with you!

I did used to think cats should be allowed out, then after talking with others who keep them in, and their reasons, i very much agree with them, keep those kitties in! Maybe if i lived out in the sticks with no roads it would be fine having a naughty tom cat wandering the wilds and catching mice, but anywhere else where there's roads and nasty people about, keep them indoors and safe!
n/a Posted - 18/01/2012 : 18:00:52
Yes, they should never have encouraged her if they couldn't offer her a permanent home. Or they should have traced the owner or if no owner contacted the CPL as soon as she started to come round. A lot of cats will go on the prowl for free dinners and their owners don't even know they're 'playing away'.

Well, my little catty guest has gone, 9 hours after I found her, and I hope her owners keep her in in future ...
mystra Posted - 18/01/2012 : 17:24:09
quote:

Ah, lol, I see ...but of course! Goes without saying!

I've still got her. She's been introduced to Emily and Finn and she and Emily had a singing match but now all's quiet on the western front...nobody's been round to claim her although I still have the notice up in my window in case my kind neighbour was just stirring it.

I shall just have to wait and see...

awww, how nice to have a visitor.. that might become a permanent resident!

Speaking of which, browsing gumtree today found an ad for kitten for sale because the owners were moving, turns out this cat isn't even theirs! They says it's one they feed and it visits regularly but they are trying to sell it!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/gorgeous-black-and-white-female-cat-is-looking-for-a-place-to-call-home/94849182

why feed a cat and encourage it to visit often if you aren't sticking around anyway... really annoyed me! Lots of outdoor cats make friends with whoever gives them a full belly, doesn't mean they can take on the right of rehoming said cat when they leave... some poor owner will be wondering why their moggy hasn't come home!
n/a Posted - 18/01/2012 : 15:44:43
Ah, lol, I see ...but of course! Goes without saying!

I've still got her. She's been introduced to Emily and Finn and she and Emily had a singing match but now all's quiet on the western front...nobody's been round to claim her although I still have the notice up in my window in case my kind neighbour was just stirring it.

I shall just have to wait and see...

JanieW Posted - 18/01/2012 : 15:33:20
[quote]Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Sorry, no knight in shining armour but just the crone from the witch's cottage lol ...
[quote][i]

That one, had me chuckling for ages..and you have a black cat!
I have my fingers crossed for you and the kitty :)
n/a Posted - 18/01/2012 : 12:00:31
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

LOL Bats are you trying to live up to the comment you left in one of my threads?

*chuckles* Its sweet that you took the kitten in tho :) You may have an extra kitty cat now.

Which comment was that?

Hmmm, just keeping my fingers crossed that the gossips are right for once and that no-one turns up, I hate talking to people and just hope there's no drama ...yeah, couldn't leave her out there though ...
JanieW Posted - 18/01/2012 : 11:52:19
LOL Bats are you trying to live up to the comment you left in one of my threads?

*chuckles* Its sweet that you took the kitten in tho :) You may have an extra kitty cat now.
n/a Posted - 18/01/2012 : 11:07:01
quote:

I'm always available if a stray wants to take up residence, as long as it gets on with my lot

Oh boy ...famous last words ...

This morning, just settling down for a nice lie-in, heard something crying in the street ...a kitten.

I knew a neighbour had recently got a kitten; their car wasn't there ...surely they hadn't gone to work and left her out - or had she run off and they'd lost her?

I got up and investigated ...on another doorstep, a ginger kitten, mewing loudly. I picked her up and knocked. No reply. She was wet and shivering. What else could I do but bring her in?

I left a note with the people whose doorstep I found her on but don't think they're the type to have a cat; have made contact with the other neighbour; their girl is safely indoors.

It's 3 hours since I found her - a large 'FOUND' sign is in my front window, and Kitten has had a meal and is having lanigans with he fishtank.

Lol.

My own cats are upstairs and not best pleased, but coming from a large feral community and occasionally being joined by a neighbourhood cat for a free meal, are more laid back than most about catty visitors.

Ah. Postscript. Just been visited by one of the local gossips (who are into everything, and what they can't get to know, improvise freely - 'nough said.) According to this one, kitten is in the novelty wearing off phase, and not the first in this situation; according to this person they get cats and let the neighbours feed them when they get tired of them. (However, gossip is spiteful in this street.)

Kitten doesn't look that neglected to me, as you can see in the pic. So I've left a note with the alleged owners ...if they have got tired of her and don't collect her, she can stay here with me ...oh boy, why do I get myself into these situations. But I couldn't leave her out there wet and shivering.

Time will tell I suppose ...in the meantime I have a new catty visitor ...
n/a Posted - 15/01/2012 : 12:42:34
Thanks, Blackskull - oh boy, tell me about it! Mine have a genius for being under my feet, especially Finn. I swear he plans it beforehand - in fact I've always said that cat is like a husband ...he's under my feet when I'm busy, he takes up all the room in the bed, and he stinks the bathroom out ...lol, love him though. Little horror.

Hi, Mystra, that's a brilliant idea - kittens have a far better chance of finding homes but older cats can be very difficult to rehome. The CPL and the RSPCA had been called out by my neighbours to Tess and Charlotte's home a few times and had actually removed some kittens but when I became involved they said that they would take the kittens but neuter the adults and leave them 'on site' - in other words, if the cats hadn't been moving in with me, they would have had to be dependant on street residents feeding them. No shelter, nothing.

If I ever got another cat, it would be an adult - well, I'm always available if a stray wants to take up residence, as long as it gets on with my lot, well, one did for some years, the redoubtable Ali Kat, but that is another story ...
mystra Posted - 15/01/2012 : 12:08:45
quote:

Thanks Mystra, and bugger the landlord - since you're moving I hope it's to a cat-friendly pad and you can have your own kitties - a house is not a house without at least one cat!

that's the plan actually :D we've seen a few where there's a cat in the pictures of the flats so it must be allowed!

We really want to adopt an old cat, keep seeing Battersea posting some really gruffly old charmers for adoption on Facebook, and i keep falling in love!
blackskull Posted - 15/01/2012 : 09:48:04
lovely cats. your right a house is not the same without cats.

since moving in with the oh i have learnt to tell the 5 cats apart from the sound of the bells on their collars and their meow before they come into sight

just a shame they can't wait to be fed on a morning, 5 cats running around your feet when your half asleep is not good lol
n/a Posted - 14/01/2012 : 22:34:15
Yup - lol - replied
GMac Posted - 14/01/2012 : 22:24:37
quote:

23??? Your lass lived to 23? That's great (although it must have been awful to lose her) One of mine to lived to be 18 but I reckon the average is 15.

Awful to lose any animal ...just wish they could live for ever ...

did think that cat would outlive us at one stage, was more stubborn than me lol

side note, have emailed you. can you see if its come through please ;)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000