The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 For Mystra - Weather Loach at large!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 29/03/2012 : 16:50:51
Well, the Lieutenant has settled in fine. He's the largest loach in the tank, with the finest whiskers, and Hotlips deserted Hawkeye and chased the handsome Lieutenant, but now they make a contented threesome ...

From left to right - the Lieutenant, Hotlips, and Hawkeye -

The Lieutenant, Hawkeye and Hotlips -

Hotlips and Hawkeye and the Lieutenant going crazy lol

Thanks again for Him, Mystra - he is a fab fish and has settled in really well.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 31/03/2012 : 19:56:52
I have to clean one side of the filters every 2 days and the middle section once a week, and then strip it down once a month as it clogs and the propeller stops running. Its almost as if the filter sections aren't close enough fitting to stop a steady flow of crud running straight into the prop section.
n/a Posted - 31/03/2012 : 12:43:08
Hi, glad you like the pics.

Yeah, my Fluval's a pain, but compared with the PF2 filter I had in my 60 litre tank, it's a great improvement ...and as for that monstrosity called the Biorb with the inbuilt filter ...it's now sitting in my cellar waiting to be made into a bottle garden some day. Arrgh!
mystra Posted - 31/03/2012 : 09:06:39
ohh BATS he looks so happy with his new tank mates!

(thanks for the email, can't believe i missed this thread lol)

Also - Fluval's are a pain in the rear end, takes about 2 seconds to clog and get noisy (and smelly if it happens when you're not around to de-clog). Had a U2 as an extra filter and the amount of time it clogged, i'm surprised i didn't redeploy it to filtering the inside of the nearest bin liner!
n/a Posted - 30/03/2012 : 22:23:51
Ah I think I know what you mean! Damn suction pads wore out with mine - I now have it stabilised with boulders at the bottom and just position flex at top where lid clamps on it to keep it upright.

With another filter a poor minnow managed to get caught and die in suction pads.

Can't seem to get bubbler going no more with this Fluval, dratted thing, like you I like it noisy - have noticed this before - the things get gunked up and wear out no matter how you clean.

Tank kit ...grrrrrrr!!!!
Lotabob Posted - 30/03/2012 : 21:32:39
I replaced my filter with a fluval u2 as it was seemingly fish proof, my danio kept getting stuck in that stupid contraption on the back. Most of my little fish have war wounds from that, I now leave it unstuck in one corner and it leaves enough room for them to get back out if they get in.
n/a Posted - 30/03/2012 : 20:55:47
Aww that is terrible about the weather loach - yes, they're well known for getting where they shouldn't. Luckily the Fluval filter I have is pretty loach proof I reckon, especially the size they are now.

Great pic of the sucker loach - he's cool!
Lotabob Posted - 30/03/2012 : 18:19:24
Yeah this is the first time in years I haven't had a weather Loach, my last one somehow swam into the outflow of the pump and mangled itself into the propeller, it was not pretty.

This is the best picture I could get of the sucking loach.

n/a Posted - 30/03/2012 : 12:11:05
Ah, pity you're not in Wakefield, there's a shop here with some in. (Perhaps if a Leeds relative visits you they can courier a couple for you lol.)

They are an amazing fish, and they really do go loopy when there's stormy weather on the way - something to do with barometric pressure affecting the swim bladder. My lot are all 6-7" now and a ballet des loach, with them twining together like eels, is a superb sight.
Lotabob Posted - 29/03/2012 : 22:40:49
I love weather loaches. I just bought 3 sucker loaches yesterday oh and 2 apple snails. I love my aquarium its in my bedroom and the sound of the pumps and bubbles is my lulabye

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000