For Mystra - Weather Loach at large!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  16:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the Lieutenant has settled in fine. He's the largest loach in the tank, with the finest whiskers, and Hotlips deserted Hawkeye and chased the handsome Lieutenant, but now they make a contented threesome ...

From left to right - the Lieutenant, Hotlips, and Hawkeye -

The Lieutenant, Hawkeye and Hotlips -

Hotlips and Hawkeye and the Lieutenant going crazy lol

Thanks again for Him, Mystra - he is a fab fish and has settled in really well.

Edited by - n/a on 29/03/2012 16:53:06

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  22:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love weather loaches. I just bought 3 sucker loaches yesterday oh and 2 apple snails. I love my aquarium its in my bedroom and the sound of the pumps and bubbles is my lulabye

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  12:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, pity you're not in Wakefield, there's a shop here with some in. (Perhaps if a Leeds relative visits you they can courier a couple for you lol.)

They are an amazing fish, and they really do go loopy when there's stormy weather on the way - something to do with barometric pressure affecting the swim bladder. My lot are all 6-7" now and a ballet des loach, with them twining together like eels, is a superb sight.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  18:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah this is the first time in years I haven't had a weather Loach, my last one somehow swam into the outflow of the pump and mangled itself into the propeller, it was not pretty.

This is the best picture I could get of the sucking loach.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  20:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww that is terrible about the weather loach - yes, they're well known for getting where they shouldn't. Luckily the Fluval filter I have is pretty loach proof I reckon, especially the size they are now.

Great pic of the sucker loach - he's cool!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  21:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced my filter with a fluval u2 as it was seemingly fish proof, my danio kept getting stuck in that stupid contraption on the back. Most of my little fish have war wounds from that, I now leave it unstuck in one corner and it leaves enough room for them to get back out if they get in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  22:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah I think I know what you mean! Damn suction pads wore out with mine - I now have it stabilised with boulders at the bottom and just position flex at top where lid clamps on it to keep it upright.

With another filter a poor minnow managed to get caught and die in suction pads.

Can't seem to get bubbler going no more with this Fluval, dratted thing, like you I like it noisy - have noticed this before - the things get gunked up and wear out no matter how you clean.

Tank kit ...grrrrrrr!!!!

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  09:06:39  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ohh BATS he looks so happy with his new tank mates!

(thanks for the email, can't believe i missed this thread lol)

Also - Fluval's are a pain in the rear end, takes about 2 seconds to clog and get noisy (and smelly if it happens when you're not around to de-clog). Had a U2 as an extra filter and the amount of time it clogged, i'm surprised i didn't redeploy it to filtering the inside of the nearest bin liner!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  12:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, glad you like the pics.

Yeah, my Fluval's a pain, but compared with the PF2 filter I had in my 60 litre tank, it's a great improvement ...and as for that monstrosity called the Biorb with the inbuilt filter ...it's now sitting in my cellar waiting to be made into a bottle garden some day. Arrgh!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  19:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to clean one side of the filters every 2 days and the middle section once a week, and then strip it down once a month as it clogs and the propeller stops running. Its almost as if the filter sections aren't close enough fitting to stop a steady flow of crud running straight into the prop section.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000