The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 The cresties have arrived!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 17/07/2012 : 18:24:44
So we went on epic long journey in the car and came back with a pair of crested geckos and a big cage :) One is apparently a halloween harlequin and the other a .. flame? Or something.. I didn't pay much attention to their morphs.

Anyway! It seems (from reading) the main thing people feed them is baby food and this special crested gecko diet stuff (along with crickets and such)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of feeding non-natural foods to my pets (Still trying to persuade Adie to get the bloomin' hedgehog off cat biscuits!) so I really want to avoid babyfood and CGD if possible, I'm sure I can replace that stuff with just fresh fruits and such and then give a steady supply of Vitamin D covered crickets to make up the rest of the diet along with maybe some mealworm and darkling beetles. Let me know what you think!

Aside from the diet issues the cage does need a clean, will hopefully do that tomorrow. Since they've not left their cage to be moved (we just put it in the back seat and drove) I'm hoping they won't need too long to settle back in with me as their keeper.

Will upload photos and videos as soon as possible :)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 19/07/2012 : 10:37:12
I've read that when Cresties stop sticking to things it might mean they're coming up to a shed. Their feet loose the 'suckyness' 'cause the skin is too loose to grip. Could that be it?

I'm guessing their previous owners were Startrek fans then? ; )
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 23:32:55
He is, yes! The doughnut!
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 21:35:56
Is he the one who has problems with the glass? because I think you may have found the answer ;) :P
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 19:14:13
Aye Leonard was walking in it earlier for no reason at all xP I'll keep my eyes on them though!
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:57:34
It's not always obvious they have eaten so check for foot prints or tongue prints in the food - spread it thin and its easier to see :)
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:51:14
Oh I have this magnetic rock ledge that sits about halfway up the exo-terra with 2 pots in it for their food :) I mashed up some strawberry, bannana and apple earlier and filled one of the pots not sure if they've eaten from it yet though. Think I'll give the coco husk a try :)
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:40:27
PS - a good trick I learnt for feeding the CGD is to take a lid from a plastic bottle (pref one that is fairly large) and use velcro tape around the rim, then put the backing to the glass somewhere up near the plants.

That way they can feed up high and when it need topping off you can just tear it off the glass and refill.

This is how I have my drinking water for my arboreal T.
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:38:38
Lol well so long as the plants are there then they should use it. Try the coco husk, it's great for humidity.

Yoshi was a hatchling when I got him so still quite small, hence the not so busy setup as it would be impossible to handle him.
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:31:32
Ah see yours is very minimalistic compared to ours, our one came looking like an explosion in a plastic plant factory ^^ we took out a bit but left most of it in there they seem to really enjoy the cover. It's just the floor that I was concerned about I've read a bit about some substrate being bad for their feet.
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:31:19
I was more after seeing the contents you see, which might explain his lack of interest in spending time off the floor.
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:29:56
This is my setup, he loves the plant to the left. He never goes in the cave system I built on the right.

Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:26:00
It's a typical large arboreal Exo Terra terrarium :)
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 18:25:24
Slipping of the glass isn't a good sign tbh, unless the glass is particularly greasy or wet. As for substrate, can you post a pic of the setup? I use coco husk in mine.
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 17:34:42
Screw it, selling the royals buying more cresties, these things are awesome! haha!
We watched them hunt powder covered crickets today, so fun. Although we have noticed that the male (Leonard) does keep slipping down the glass and falling off things, any ideas how to remedy this or are they just naturally this clumsy? (The glass does need a good clean but not wanted to do it until they're a bit more settled.
The girl (Penny) seems to spend most of her time under the paper towel substrate I thought they were meant to be arboreal! (Any substrate I can use to stop her doing this?)
reptiledanny Posted - 18/07/2012 : 12:40:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

They're pretty cool we sat up till 2am last night watching them under their blue light running about.

We've got some calcium powder for the crickets and I'm trying to work out which fruits are good, been advised against anything citrus and no banana. :/

You guys know if starwberrys are okay, grapes, apple, pear, melon?

banana is fine for them. used to feed mine it all the time and he was fine. the only fruit on there thats a nono is grapes as aparently the skins on them are poisonious to them (and wouldnt adivse peeling them, takes forever and doesnt end up being worth it )
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 11:51:08
Haha brilliant! We gave them some mealworm, Leonard pounced on them and then seemed to get bored that they weren't moving so walked away xP
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 11:50:22
Banana is ok - just not all the time.

I found its better to use the CGD as a base diet then supplement with fresh fruit and live food.

Mainly because its hilarious watching them hunt the live food.

Yoshi pounced halfway accross his terrarium the other day for a cricket, which moved just in time, and he got a mouthfull of plastic plant.

He was chewing on it for about 2 mins before he realised :)
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 11:18:19
They're pretty cool we sat up till 2am last night watching them under their blue light running about.

We've got some calcium powder for the crickets and I'm trying to work out which fruits are good, been advised against anything citrus and no banana. :/

You guys know if starwberrys are okay, grapes, apple, pear, melon?
badwool Posted - 18/07/2012 : 10:57:18
I would deffo recommend repashy's - my flame loves it!!!! AND since I switched to that he has had a nice growth spurt.

I also dust my crickets in repashy's.

Love my crestie so much, he's such a lovely little gecko, flighty buggar though!!!
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2012 : 10:13:23
Yes they have a uv bulb :-)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000