Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  18:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So we went on epic long journey in the car and came back with a pair of crested geckos and a big cage :) One is apparently a halloween harlequin and the other a .. flame? Or something.. I didn't pay much attention to their morphs.

Anyway! It seems (from reading) the main thing people feed them is baby food and this special crested gecko diet stuff (along with crickets and such)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of feeding non-natural foods to my pets (Still trying to persuade Adie to get the bloomin' hedgehog off cat biscuits!) so I really want to avoid babyfood and CGD if possible, I'm sure I can replace that stuff with just fresh fruits and such and then give a steady supply of Vitamin D covered crickets to make up the rest of the diet along with maybe some mealworm and darkling beetles. Let me know what you think!

Aside from the diet issues the cage does need a clean, will hopefully do that tomorrow. Since they've not left their cage to be moved (we just put it in the back seat and drove) I'm hoping they won't need too long to settle back in with me as their keeper.

Will upload photos and videos as soon as possible :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  18:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cgd is actually ideal. Also supplimented with live feeders like crickets. Baby food isn't a good idea.

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  18:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unamed

Cgd is actually ideal. Also supplimented with live feeders like crickets. Baby food isn't a good idea.

Aye I know it's a fine food I'd just prefer to do something natural if it's possible.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  18:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use CGD as its got everything in that they need and makes up the back bone of the diet to keep them healthy. You can feed fruit and bugs as well and even make up your own gecko diet from the numerous recipes floating about. I found Harley very picky, he will only eat repashy CGD and bugs and I also dust bugs with calcium and also very rarely dust with nutrabal.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  18:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I have a pack of CGD that the previous owner gave me a tub of that calcium powder stuff so I'll carry on with that until it runs out and hopefully can figure out something else by then :D

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  18:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, if its cheaper than repashy (www.stickyfeet.co.uk) then let me know.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  19:17:28  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol I have a feeling this is going to happen a lot. Texts from Adie claiming the geckos are missing - only to be told a few moments later that in fact they're just hiding .... xD

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  20:15:11  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cgd is actually quite natural. its made from extracts from different things i beleive, its not just pumped full of industrial made things.
there was something on rfuk i read about a year ago where someone made there own cgd with everything it needed in it, using fruit etc and then freezing it.
i did this slightly, but used to puree fruit, and mix cgd into it and freeze it in blobs and then defrost it when needed.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  20:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that will happen a lot, it takes a few minutes and a torch to locate Harley most nights, I dont even try during the day he camouflages and becomes almost invisible amongst the foliage.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  20:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
May consider mixing up some fruit meals for him then ^^

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  21:03:57  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

is a good idea
i found mine loved the taste of mango and went bananas for banana
but is best to still mix the cgd in with that as it does contain everything they need and more.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  21:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

quote:

is a good idea
i found mine loved the taste of mango and went bananas for banana
but is best to still mix the cgd in with that as it does contain everything they need and more.

What exactly is everything they need?

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  06:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using any kind of UV light with them?

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  08:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, congrats on your new friends Kelf : )

As far as I understand it (so far) people only use baby foods 'cause they're convenient. You can easy puree your own fruit mixes. I've read they love mango and banana best. Which are both easy to puree I should have thought.

Don't know about the CGD though. Wasn't happy about the idea of feeding them that, but I've read so much about how it's actually really good for them and not full of anything dodgy. So maybe it's OK.

Do they have names then? ; )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  10:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are Leonard and Penny :-)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  10:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes they have a uv bulb :-)

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  10:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would deffo recommend repashy's - my flame loves it!!!! AND since I switched to that he has had a nice growth spurt.

I also dust my crickets in repashy's.

Love my crestie so much, he's such a lovely little gecko, flighty buggar though!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  11:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They're pretty cool we sat up till 2am last night watching them under their blue light running about.

We've got some calcium powder for the crickets and I'm trying to work out which fruits are good, been advised against anything citrus and no banana. :/

You guys know if starwberrys are okay, grapes, apple, pear, melon?

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  11:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Banana is ok - just not all the time.

I found its better to use the CGD as a base diet then supplement with fresh fruit and live food.

Mainly because its hilarious watching them hunt the live food.

Yoshi pounced halfway accross his terrarium the other day for a cricket, which moved just in time, and he got a mouthfull of plastic plant.

He was chewing on it for about 2 mins before he realised :)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  11:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha brilliant! We gave them some mealworm, Leonard pounced on them and then seemed to get bored that they weren't moving so walked away xP

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  12:40:59  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

They're pretty cool we sat up till 2am last night watching them under their blue light running about.

We've got some calcium powder for the crickets and I'm trying to work out which fruits are good, been advised against anything citrus and no banana. :/

You guys know if starwberrys are okay, grapes, apple, pear, melon?

banana is fine for them. used to feed mine it all the time and he was fine. the only fruit on there thats a nono is grapes as aparently the skins on them are poisonious to them (and wouldnt adivse peeling them, takes forever and doesnt end up being worth it )

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000