The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 food to big?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
clodove-xx Posted - 04/09/2012 : 13:05:08
i recently upgraded food sizes from a rat fluff to a 'small' rat. i fed him this time last week, he didnt look like he was going to eat it but i think he enjoyed it, anyway when he was eating he looked like he was about to split open but there was nothing i could do because the food was almost gone, he still looks bloated from his dinner and never leaves his house since i fed him, hes poo'd (pretty much a boulder) but have i done the right thing or was it too big?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snecklifter Posted - 05/09/2012 : 09:30:23
quote:
Originally posted by clodove-xx

i recently upgraded food sizes from a rat fluff to a 'small' rat. i fed him this time last week, he didnt look like he was going to eat it but i think he enjoyed it, anyway when he was eating he looked like he was about to split open but there was nothing i could do because the food was almost gone, he still looks bloated from his dinner and never leaves his house since i fed him, hes poo'd (pretty much a boulder) but have i done the right thing or was it too big?

In my experience, small rats supplied by my local rattery are approximately 80 - 90 grams in weight, so i suppose it depends on what you class as 'small'.

Anyway, there's always a doubt in your mind when you upgrade to bigger prey whether the snake will be able to cope with it. But, I never cease to be amazed at what they can get their heads round.

In my experience, if the snake doesn't think it can cope with that size prey, it wont bother trying in the first place. They have a sixth sense it would seem. So don't worry.
carlb1981 Posted - 04/09/2012 : 14:23:53
i went from rat fluff to small weaner rat they might be better
carlb1981 Posted - 04/09/2012 : 14:22:41
i put my royal in a bowl on scales to weigh him much easier than trying to plonk him straight on lol
AndyJ80 Posted - 04/09/2012 : 14:21:59
When did you feed him?

A small rat is approximately 46-79 grams in weight, and obviously bigger than the rat fluffs (equivalent of an x-large mouse).
Going by the rough guide of 10% of your snakes empty weight (basically after a poo), it should weigh about 460 grams using the bottom end of the scale, so it's possible it may have been too big.

Just look out for regurgitation (if he's fine)
clodove-xx Posted - 04/09/2012 : 13:38:23
i will get a picture uploaded when i am home from work,
yeah it is haha
er not that much bigger i based it on the biggest part of him id say 1cm
Baobab Posted - 04/09/2012 : 13:20:16
I think the resident experienced members will probably want some more info, or a picture of the bulge.
I take it the snake in question is your 9 month old royal.
How much bigger would you say was the diameter of the rat compaired to the diameter of your royal?
clodove-xx Posted - 04/09/2012 : 13:06:15
also he didnt like being weighed so im not sure how much we weighs...

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000