The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Natural vivarium set up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tweek Posted - 23/09/2012 : 01:28:51
Hi guys! Any of you ever had a natural setup? Real plants & so forth? Are they hard to maintain? Are they worth the effort? Do they need cleaning out more often? Does anyone have any advice on how to get started?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boomslang Posted - 23/09/2012 : 18:23:17
Can be done,However you will have to buy alot more gear.Plus another type of viv that's not wood.It's a lot of work for a snake that you hardly see.

You will end up replacing plants alot to,You could try leaving the plants in the pots.Then getting a nice looking background etc,Use rocks/wood/cork to hide the pots.

Or just get fake laurel,Weathered looking wood/background and other fake plants.
Lotabob Posted - 23/09/2012 : 14:03:08
I actually did a bit of research into this when I was building my vivstack. I did come to the conclusion that with everything to be considered it would be a very high maintenance. The plants have to be very sturdy, non toxic (snakes dont eat them obviously but the sap will be released when the hefty snake breaks a stem or leaf etc) and happy in low light situations. Ventilation has to be increased to prevent the humidity building up because of damp soil. Mould and fungi build up can occur so you have to consider a custodian bug such as woodlice and springtails to keep things clean. Spot checks become really difficult, Royal poop is very dark in colour, on soil it will be quite difficult to spot unless they leave you a urate clue.

I decided that I could make something pleasing to the eye from wood, cork bark, fake foliage and good lighting without having to go to all the hassle of having such a high maintenance vivarium. I like snakes for their low maintenance didn't want to ruin it.
Kelfezond Posted - 23/09/2012 : 09:24:03
I think a natural environment for a royal would be a very difficult thing but don't see it being impossible, couldn't help you out at all but would be very interested to see how you fare :)
konrad1982 Posted - 23/09/2012 : 06:55:35
Not the best idea to me as plants will:
- get damaged
- provide natural housing for bacterias
- increase humidity a lot.
That is just my opinion but I'm not saying it is impossible. Just your personal choice. But obviously you need to do some research what plants would be recommended.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000