The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding in or out?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Trekky Posted - 02/10/2012 : 21:00:23
Hi everyone,

We have just acquired 2 royals the youngest (Monty) we got just over a week ago and the older one (Zuma) we got yesterday.

We also have a corn snake (Drago).

My question is regards feeding in or out of the viv... With our corn we have always fed out of the viv in his RUB... He's a fantastic feeder so never had an issue.
We wanted to do the same with the royals so as to avoid them associating feed time with the viv. We are having problems with Monty not eating yet and wondered if this could be an issue stopping him feed.

Should we persevere with feeding in the RUB or feed in the viv?

Currently both are on aspen so if it's adviced to feed in the viv then we will have to change the substrate to avoid them ingesting any during feeds.

Many thanks in advance for your advice
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cookie Posted - 04/10/2012 : 20:43:57
Yea I cohabit too, in fairness only have been doing that for about 1.5 years but I havent had any issues with it. My two boys get on fine, have their own hides. Obvs if your going to cohabit you run the risk of infection spreading... but so far i've had no issues.

I separate my boys during feeding time... one gets fed in viv, and the other in a rub...
badwool Posted - 04/10/2012 : 17:10:03
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

Some feel its bad or wrong for various reasons, either way his comment was uncalled for IMHO.

My two adults have co-habited for 7 years. Mate in season, do all the normal stuff.

Many do co-habit, many do not.

how was it uncalled for?

It wasn't nasty or offensive?

JodiT Posted - 04/10/2012 : 17:09:47
I've always fed both my royal and corn in their vivs and never had any problems :)

But that's the way they've always been fed.. so I suppose it's routine.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 04/10/2012 : 16:52:04
Id say there nothing wrong with it
There's more ways to skin a cat And that

But it puts them at more risks from infections
markmifsud Posted - 04/10/2012 : 16:47:10
Some feel its bad or wrong for various reasons, either way his comment was uncalled for IMHO.

My two adults have co-habited for 7 years. Mate in season, do all the normal stuff.

Many do co-habit, many do not.
Trekky Posted - 04/10/2012 : 13:47:02
quote:
Originally posted by badwool

quote:

mainly as I cohabit

:( :( :(

I was reading through the posts but didn't understand badwool's response to markmifsud's response...? Is there something wrong with co habiting? This is something I haven't looked into doing so both my royals were kept separate
ajokocha Posted - 03/10/2012 : 23:06:22
I also feed in their rubs, they quickly distinguish the difference between your hand and food :)
badwool Posted - 03/10/2012 : 19:21:59
quote:

mainly as I cohabit

:( :( :(
markmifsud Posted - 03/10/2012 : 19:20:19
I always feed out of the viv. mainly as I cohabit so its better to feed them seperately. Also gives me time to clean the viv, sterilise new aspen etc etc
Baobab Posted - 03/10/2012 : 19:08:25
We fed all of ours out, but just recently Feanor will not look near his rat when he's in his feeding tub, so he gets it in his viv now.
Eowyn gets hers in her viv as well, due to her size.
boomslang Posted - 03/10/2012 : 18:34:06
Some in,some out :P Gives me a chance to clean,or to handle for abit etc.
Ads Posted - 03/10/2012 : 18:31:11
We feed in the viv in order to avoid any handling just before or after a feed. We have not had any issues with ingested substrate (Aspen or Hemp bedding) or with snakes associating feed time with the viv. My husband works at a zoo which has many snakes and lots of different breeds, no one there has known a snake that associates feed time with the viv, its usually that funky rat smell
Kelfezond Posted - 02/10/2012 : 21:37:12
As above, used to seperate, no longer do :) Have seen my snakes chowing down on a ton of substrate never to any problem though
Fezza Posted - 02/10/2012 : 21:16:02
I did start off feeding in a separate tub but now feed all of mine in there rubs. So far I haven't had an issue with impaction.

You gotta figure that in the wild they don't eat in a sterile environment with no lose dirt and other detritus. Plus, if their stomach acid is stong enough to dissolve bone, it should make short work of aspen

IMHO

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000