The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 aggressive royal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matthewsaint Posted - 23/10/2012 : 14:37:22
I posted a while ago about my female royal being very angry. I've now had her since March and she is still very aggressive. I've not been able hold her for long without her striking at me. I've tried holding her everyday, once a week and I've tried leaving her a few weeks etc. She has exactly the same setup that my male royal had at her size. She sheds and poos fine. She eats every 4 weeks or so but i offer every week. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jbarlow91 Posted - 11/11/2012 : 11:50:20
That's good news hopfully now she will carry on
matthewsaint Posted - 11/11/2012 : 10:57:37
just a quick update, she ate a medium mouse last night at 2.30 am, set my alarm offered and she took it straight away. fingers crossed this isn't just a fluke, I'll try again next week!

Thanks all for advice
jbarlow91 Posted - 10/11/2012 : 11:43:46
Although I suppose royals wouldn't be royals if they made everything simple for us
Kelfezond Posted - 10/11/2012 : 11:13:34
quote:
Originally posted by jbarlow91

That's true just thought cause it looks like a young snake could be worth trying to give it a kick start plus it would put matthewsaints mind at rest lol

Aye that's true enough it would do that.
jbarlow91 Posted - 10/11/2012 : 11:03:35
That's true just thought cause it looks like a young snake could be worth trying to give it a kick start plus it would put matthewsaints mind at rest lol
Kelfezond Posted - 10/11/2012 : 08:52:14
quote:

if a snake aint eating its worth tryin all the tricks u can think of to try and get it back eating.

I disagree, it's natural for royals to fast and the best thing to do is let him do that, offer food less often and just keep patient until either his health degrades or he starts eating again.

However that's just my opinion and nothing says I'm right and you're wrong.
jbarlow91 Posted - 09/11/2012 : 20:02:21
I doubt a royal that small would stop eating cause of breeding season and if a snake aint eating its worth tryin all the tricks u can think of to try and get it back eating. And some of my snakes drink water off their prey even when they have water bowls in their tanks and then strike and eat
Lindstrom Posted - 09/11/2012 : 19:15:10
quote:

I defrost all my rodents in water lol and never had any burst plus if mouse aint wet the taking water bowl out trick is pointless lol

I thought it was pretty obvious I was not talking about the "taking the water bowl out trick" the clue was "dry" sorry i just don't think they would think "oh no I haven't got any water I better drink of this dead mouse oh hang on I forgot I was hungry" the reasons for not eating are, theyre simply not hungry, they don't recognise it as food, breeding season or they're stressed. My first port of call if they're not stressed or in breeding season would be change food supplier, change food source, increase the primary sence of food aka scent, reduce how often you offer food so they become more opurtunistic and then develop a routine
matthewsaint Posted - 08/11/2012 : 22:44:24
hodgie, thanks for that but I've already tried that with her too, if anything she is more aggressive when I try to do that :\

I'll give the water thing a go and see what happens.

My other royal has only missed a couple feeds in over a year, and has never struck at me once, weird how they have such different personalities isn't it.

thanks all for advice!
jbarlow91 Posted - 08/11/2012 : 20:10:38
I defrost all my rodents in water lol and never had any burst plus if mouse aint wet the taking water bowl out trick is pointless lol
Lindstrom Posted - 08/11/2012 : 19:50:51
I would avoid thawing directly in water as it weakens the scent and can burst, try thawing dry in a SEALED take away tub and just before you feed, put hot but not boiling water in a sink and let the tub float in it for 3-5 minutes. This "sweats" the mouse and depending how strong the scent is I get varying feeding responses from instant strike to, is that a mouse? It is!, it is a mouse!

Hope it helps
hodgie Posted - 08/11/2012 : 19:03:39
This video should help you to calm her down.
http://youtu.be/S7DQssbM0uk
jbarlow91 Posted - 08/11/2012 : 12:56:13
Only other thing I can think of is take water bowls out on friday morning and leave them out then defrost the prey in luke warm water so its nice and wet warm its head in hot water then he might go for it if he is thirsty then put bowls back in after you try feeding
matthewsaint Posted - 08/11/2012 : 12:50:55
Yep tried that too. I will try feeding her on Saturday morning when i get up. Just worried that she's still so aggressive/nervous too
jbarlow91 Posted - 08/11/2012 : 09:23:49
Sometimes they just like pushing it around lol have u tried defrosting it near his rub so he can smell it might build an appertite up
matthewsaint Posted - 08/11/2012 : 08:04:57
I've tried through the day and on a night but never on a morning, I'll give that a try on Saturday.. Everytime I've tried to feed her I have left the rat/mouse in overnight, sometimes I'll find it in the waterbowl sometimes it's on the opposite side of the rub to where I left it. Which makes me think she may be trying to eat but is having some kind of problems?
Thanks for advice
jbarlow91 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 22:24:50
Have u tried leaving prey in over night that sometimes works. Or could try braining and have you tried feeding at different times of the day never know she could be mega fussy and only eat in the mornings or late at night
matthewsaint Posted - 07/11/2012 : 21:08:37
p.s. I have the two small bowls in usually but when in shed I put the pink bowl in to raise humidity. She's had 4 perfect sheds since March all in one piece. She's a beautiful snake I just hope there's nothing wrong with her :(
matthewsaint Posted - 07/11/2012 : 21:06:04
sorry for late reply I have just managed to find my usb cable for my phone to get picture uploaded. I've just weighed her she is 235g . She has not eaten since 24 September, not too long I know but at her age and size I'm worried. I tried to feed her a medium mouse on Sunday, she struck and constricted but did not eat. I've tried rat pups, fluffs v.small weaner.. small medium and large mice, and still to find something that she will eat properly. Should I take her to the vet?

This is her setup, she fits in the hides properly, temps are 33c and 24-25c she's on a heat mat with stat. Any advice please.

acd1984 Posted - 24/10/2012 : 16:49:46
What's her weight?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000