The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 now feeding and home- UPDATE

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
spor Posted - 18/06/2009 : 01:04:20
well if i could find the non feeders club thread i would be signing up.
i have had Nimue and Freyja for 18 days and they still will not eat. on the 22nd it will be 1 month from they last ate.

I am starting to worry now but because they are young and have only ever eaten twice.

thawing pinkies for 1hr on shelf i put below air vents then heating with a reflector lamp for about 20sec.
holding with thongs giving a bit of a wiggle but nothing. one of them just looks at it the other seems a bit afraid of it at times.
have been braining. tried feeding in viv, out of viv have left in over night. tried fuzzies tonight and still nothing. tried placing them in rub full of crumbled newspaper and putting food in a hid buried under paper but nothing.

I will weigh them again at week end to see if they are losing anything!

Hope everyone is well? Haven't been on much lately want to get these girls settled first.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
spor Posted - 20/08/2009 : 22:49:40
well she is home and looking great.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2403

as she had fed on sunday I thought there would be no point trying to weigh her when we got home. but needless to say she had left me a little bundle of joy to clean up so stuck her on scales. she was a bit wriggley but reckon she is around 73or 74grams.

so happy to have her home.

Tony had double checked the other one which i will be bringing home and she is actually another female. Watched her feed tonight and it was great small mouse thawed to room temp in and gone with in the flick of a tongue.

picking her up on saturday. yeah
kashie Posted - 17/08/2009 : 11:23:11
Great news - hope all goes well - needless to say keep us updated!
karl Posted - 17/08/2009 : 11:20:53
Best of luck in getting her back
wolfspirit Posted - 17/08/2009 : 08:46:33
thats good news....

i bet your looking forward to her being home again,

and the new addition...

spor Posted - 17/08/2009 : 01:22:12
Cheers.

went out to see freyja tonight and needless to say needed slight assist with feeding. but once it was in her mouth she took it and consricted and it was gone a few minutes after that. Planning to take her home on thursday night. I'm happy to assist if needs be but hopefully won't have to and that she is just being funny after her shed. She is looking a lot better more body to her. I am also then going to take a male hatchling from the same clutch who hasn't missed a feed from day one. to the point were it just needs thawed to room and in on tongs and its gone. Going to see it fed on thursday night when I pick up freyja and then I'll probably bring him home on saturday evening.
kashie Posted - 15/08/2009 : 21:19:54
Such a sad story - I know how frustrated you must have been feeling when they wouldnt feed - I'm going down that route with my albino at the moment, he hasnt fed since I brought him home.
Still, at least you have one that seems to be on the mend and hopefully will be home with you soon.
Good luck ;)
lee2308 Posted - 15/08/2009 : 19:47:02
sounds like things are on the up
wolfspirit Posted - 15/08/2009 : 08:31:33
thats good news about Freyja...

spor Posted - 15/08/2009 : 01:23:50
well another up date all going good so far Freyja still with Tony she is due a feed tomorrow night so I'm going out to see her. she shed last week and it was a clean all in one so very happy about that. all being well if she feeds tomorrow I'll leave her for one more feed and then bring her home. tony has also very kindly offered to replace nimue with one of the other 09's that he still has and that have been feeding well. so i think i will take him up on that offer but offer him some half the price as a way of also saying thankyou for looking after Freyja.

bearded dragons never happened in the end. the guy i was going to get them from had a change of circumstances so he didn't need to re-home them. have been thinking about maybe getting a corn or and adult royal? have a nice you viv stack to fill.LOL
wolfspirit Posted - 31/07/2009 : 07:21:43
quote:
Originally posted by spor

lesson learnt for me is not to take snakes that have not established a strong feeding pattern.

that i think is the key, to get a royal who has been feeding regular for a while, but even that is no guarantee...

but it evens the odds out a bit better..

your house sounds as full as mine..lol..
spor Posted - 31/07/2009 : 01:22:17
thanks for all your comments of support. got a photo last night of freyja swallowing down another small mouse so fingers crossed. that two un assisted feeds she has taken.
as for nimue, hard to think of what way it could have gone. reading other non feeding posts here with some hatchlings not eating for eight weeks and then pulling back. so i guess i thought i was doing the right thing. set up was good, feeding not so good, monitored weight and hydration was good. how long do you wait before assist of force feed? especially with a snake that is prone to fasting?

lesson learnt for me is not to take snakes that have not established a strong feeding pattern.

mourne hope you enjoy the lab. we have one who is about 7months old now and is just another big child. our zoo has also expanded over the last few months with. Degus and hamsters. and a yellow bellied turtle. will also have 2 fire headed beardies joining us from next week. Think we might need to move to a bigger house soon.
mourne Posted - 29/07/2009 : 23:59:55
Well what can one say...so sorry to hear that Spor. At least you know you will have one home again in the near future, you know you did all you could and Tony too. My zoo is doing great it even has expanded...daughter got a labrador/spaniel puppy called Madden (irish for little dog) even though she won`t be little for long.
wolfspirit Posted - 29/07/2009 : 17:34:33
thats very true BE....

but could they also be dying just because they dont know what food is and dont know how to eat..

you know i am anti assist anyway, would rather try and tease them with live first....even though i dont like live..
Blackecho Posted - 29/07/2009 : 17:29:35
I suppose it depends what was wrong with it. There may have been something neurological stopping it from eating. Taken to the extreme, force or assist feeding could actually just prolong suffering.
wolfspirit Posted - 29/07/2009 : 17:04:06
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Sorry to hear that Spor, some just aren't meant to be. Good news on the other one though.

But dont you agree that if intervention comes sooner that they might not die, by that i mean yes sort out the set up but in the meantime get them assist feeding or to someone who knows how to assist feed properly..

Maybe then less of them would be dying..
lee2308 Posted - 29/07/2009 : 16:40:05
sorry to hear that spor,you can only try.
Blackecho Posted - 29/07/2009 : 15:13:47
Sorry to hear that Spor, some just aren't meant to be. Good news on the other one though.
wolfspirit Posted - 28/07/2009 : 21:35:55
quote:
Originally posted by Weirzo

I have a similar problem with my kingsnake and im very confused

what is your kingsnake doing?
Weirzo Posted - 28/07/2009 : 21:24:57
I have a similar problem with my kingsnake and im very confused

wolfspirit Posted - 28/07/2009 : 21:16:23
so sorry Spor, i feel awful for you now...

fingers crossed the other one keeps going in the right direction,

i wonder if they get so far and then kind of start shutting down, there metabolism is slow isnt it, so i wonder if it might not notice till it is to late..

i feel for you, and hope you know you gave her a chance....it is hard and i would be devastated like you are if i lost one of mine..

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000