The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Best way to pick up a royal?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ViolentJ Posted - 01/08/2009 : 16:10:29
He's an 07 and I've had him a good few weeks now. Decided to try and pick him up today after I changed his water but instead of curling into a ball, he started to slither away. I managed to get a grip about 3/4 way down his body but he started hissing and I chickened out.

Any advice? I know you're supposed to be decisive and just go for it but I took the hissing to mean "bugger off".
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boze Posted - 02/08/2009 : 15:02:08
I normally buy her a drink of water first, take her out a couple of times, get her something to eat and you never know where it might lead....

D
kashie Posted - 01/08/2009 : 22:32:47
Lol - Blackecho is right there, the first and only time I was bitten I jusmped out of my skin it didnt hurt - it was the shock that made me jump, but it bled for a while afterwards.
Made the whole family laugh for weeks after.
Blackecho Posted - 01/08/2009 : 22:09:21
Not as much as it will shock you. Harder than it sounds, but try not to jerk away, you could fling it across the room or pull some teeth out. Usually it'll be so quick it'll be over before you know it and you'll just notice a couple of spots of blood on your finger!
ViolentJ Posted - 01/08/2009 : 22:07:04
Thanks for the advice. It's feeding night tonight so I'll try again in a few days. If he does bite me how much is it likely to hurt?
Remmy Posted - 01/08/2009 : 18:32:02
I have had my 07 for 4 weeks now and she hates being handled. The first time i went to get her out she coiled her neck ready to strike so i bottled it and left her lol. Now i take her hide off wait a minute for her to know i am there then just go for it and take her out. She doesn`t like it but i think you have to just go for it otherwise they will know that you are scared.
kashie Posted - 01/08/2009 : 16:28:28
I personnally just go and grab them anyway.

I got a young royal that sometimes hisses when we open his viv, but i talk to him and get him out, and I found that now he tends not to bother.

This doesent mean to say this will work with yours as they are all different, but my opinion is if you show them you are nervous then they sense it and will continue the behaviour. Show them who is boss!!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000