New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ViolentJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  16:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's an 07 and I've had him a good few weeks now. Decided to try and pick him up today after I changed his water but instead of curling into a ball, he started to slither away. I managed to get a grip about 3/4 way down his body but he started hissing and I chickened out.

Any advice? I know you're supposed to be decisive and just go for it but I took the hissing to mean "bugger off".

Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Ghost Corn | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar & Silver Dollars

Edited by - ViolentJ on 01/08/2009 16:15:46

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  16:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personnally just go and grab them anyway.

I got a young royal that sometimes hisses when we open his viv, but i talk to him and get him out, and I found that now he tends not to bother.

This doesent mean to say this will work with yours as they are all different, but my opinion is if you show them you are nervous then they sense it and will continue the behaviour. Show them who is boss!!

01.01.00 Whippets - Dylan and Tigger
01.01.00 AfricanGreys - Jasper and Ruby
00.00.15 KoiCarp
01.01.00 RoyalPython -Ebanks Blake and Gladysss
01.00.00 MojaveRoyal - Kelso
01.00.00 AlbinoRoyal - Ziggy
00.01.00 PastelRoyal - Phyllisss
00.01.00 SpiderRoyal - Wincey
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  18:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had my 07 for 4 weeks now and she hates being handled. The first time i went to get her out she coiled her neck ready to strike so i bottled it and left her lol. Now i take her hide off wait a minute for her to know i am there then just go for it and take her out. She doesn`t like it but i think you have to just go for it otherwise they will know that you are scared.

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

ViolentJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  22:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. It's feeding night tonight so I'll try again in a few days. If he does bite me how much is it likely to hurt?

Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Ghost Corn | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar & Silver Dollars
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  22:09:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not as much as it will shock you. Harder than it sounds, but try not to jerk away, you could fling it across the room or pull some teeth out. Usually it'll be so quick it'll be over before you know it and you'll just notice a couple of spots of blood on your finger!

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  22:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - Blackecho is right there, the first and only time I was bitten I jusmped out of my skin it didnt hurt - it was the shock that made me jump, but it bled for a while afterwards.
Made the whole family laugh for weeks after.

01.01.00 Whippets - Dylan and Tigger
01.01.00 AfricanGreys - Jasper and Ruby
00.00.15 KoiCarp
01.01.00 RoyalPython -Ebanks Blake and Gladysss
01.00.00 MojaveRoyal - Kelso
01.00.00 AlbinoRoyal - Ziggy
00.01.00 PastelRoyal - Phyllisss
00.01.00 SpiderRoyal - Wincey
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  15:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I normally buy her a drink of water first, take her out a couple of times, get her something to eat and you never know where it might lead....

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000