The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 switching to frozen

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John_Boy Posted - 08/08/2009 : 14:49:55
ive got a cf09 and wondered how i could go about switching him on to frozen. he currently takes a live rat pup every 5-7 days, he strikes straight away and eats every time. ive tried feeding frozen a few times but he just moves away from it, just not interested at all. the person i bought him from said he had taken frozen rats before but for me he just doesnt seem interested.
i would appreciate any help with this and hearing if anyone else has had similar problems.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boze Posted - 09/08/2009 : 20:15:56
I defrost the pup in a small freezer bag so any "juices" and scents on its surface dont dry up. I leave it for a few hours then pop it, and the bag its in, into some warm water 10 minutes before feeding. Yummy...

D
John_Boy Posted - 09/08/2009 : 19:51:52
thanks i will try that when i feed him next on tuesday
Blackecho Posted - 08/08/2009 : 19:50:41
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Anne, he's giving it a live pup every 5-7 days, so he must have a supply of some sort?

John, have you tried fresh killed as an intermediate? It'll still be nice and warm and smell right so may work.

Give it a knock on the head or gas it.

so sorry i made a mistake, i am not perfect...and i know what i meant..

bye

Didn't mean anything by it Anne, just might change the advice you give.
Blackecho Posted - 08/08/2009 : 19:48:12
You are lucky, they are good shops.

Do it when she's not there then

Hold it by its back legs and swing head onto a hard surface, or build a CO2 gas chamber.
John_Boy Posted - 08/08/2009 : 18:44:45
quite luckily ive got a good supply of live ones, got two good rep shops near me, jungle phase and cold blooded in essex. ive tried getting them hot on a heat mat and with a hair dryer but he just moves away from them with no interest. since ive had him hes taken 7 feeds, striking straight away each time. i will try fresh kill but whats the best way to do it? plus my girlfriend is squeemish about things like that and keeps falling in love with the pups and wanting to keep them so im going to have to find something that works soon lol
wolfspirit Posted - 08/08/2009 : 17:43:33
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Anne, he's giving it a live pup every 5-7 days, so he must have a supply of some sort?

John, have you tried fresh killed as an intermediate? It'll still be nice and warm and smell right so may work.

so sorry i made a mistake, i am not perfect...and i know what i meant..

bye
wolfspirit Posted - 08/08/2009 : 17:42:11
quote:
Originally posted by James House

I read that if you defrost it in the same room they can smell it and then get ready to feed and then put the rat under hot water until it is warm to touch mimics the rat's warmth and smell when it was alive.

it might work, but i tried that with my live feeder...and it never worked
Blackecho Posted - 08/08/2009 : 16:59:14
If you put it in water you may wash some of the scent off, I use a hair drier.
James House Posted - 08/08/2009 : 16:24:08
I read that if you defrost it in the same room they can smell it and then get ready to feed and then put the rat under hot water until it is warm to touch mimics the rat's warmth and smell when it was alive.
Blackecho Posted - 08/08/2009 : 15:49:58

wolfspirit Posted - 08/08/2009 : 14:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by John_Boy

ive got a cf09 and wondered how i could go about switching him on to frozen. he currently takes a live rat pup every 5-7 days, he strikes straight away and eats every time. ive tried feeding frozen a few times but he just moves away from it, just not interested at all. the person i bought him from said he had taken frozen rats before but for me he just doesnt seem interested.
i would appreciate any help with this and hearing if anyone else has had similar problems.

thats going to be difficult if you dont have a supply of live to help

i was told to stun the first few feeds so it is still alive but not moving like, maybe do this for a few feeds, then go to fresh kill, then onto defrost..

other than that, you could try really warm, and mimick the movement of a live one...

how many live feeds has it taken?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000