The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 high humidity

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Heffa Posted - 06/09/2009 : 20:33:33
Hiya

the humidity is still high, at about 80, it doesnt seemt to lower even with a fan on.

I am currently using a dial, am ordering a digi one tho.

any advice is most welcome
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Heffa Posted - 11/09/2009 : 14:28:48
Handled her for a little bit last night and she was tonguw flicking and seemed happy.

She still looks quite fat after her meal on tuesday, and her vent looked quite swollen and squishy, does this mean she could be ready to unload?

I have noticed from other people's topics, that they either use a mat or a bulb, I am using both.

My mat i have on on/off thermo at 88, i have the "red bulb" 40W on for about 12 hours a day and the temps are about 86-90 in hot and 74 to 78 on cold. Would you say this is suitable temps or should I convert to a stronger Bulb and get a different thermostat?

What do you guys think?

Hygrometer is on its way, I am still putting more holes in the rub to bring humidity down as still about 75 to 80%, but have the fan on allday and if not too cold, the window open as well.
boze Posted - 10/09/2009 : 13:01:57
MInd if shes not tongue flicking its more likely shes sleeping, rather than something being wrong with her

D
Heffa Posted - 10/09/2009 : 09:40:15
i only have humidity dial, which i had on the back wall, in the middle. The digital one is on its way, when it arrives, i will do as you suggest and put the probe at the back on the warm side.

I woke up this morning and she was all lively and had her head on the top of the cool side (Red box hide). It makes me laugh when she does that, as there isnt much room between the top of the hide and the lid.

I have the windows and fan on today, so the 85% humidity level this morning hopefully will drop a little by the time I get home :)
bpluv Posted - 09/09/2009 : 22:01:43
looking at that the humidity probe is next to the water bowl, if it is id move it. mine was at 89% and i been thinking how to get it down, iv put the probe in the warm side and its on 52% at the momnt, im guessing its higher in the cool side because the water bowl is there.
i dont know if this is right but hopefully someone can correct me if im wrong.

neil
Heffa Posted - 09/09/2009 : 13:45:07
spoke to sis, and she had a quick look into the rub, she still under the hot hide, but she tongue flicking now, which is such a good sign for me. :)

Heffa Posted - 09/09/2009 : 13:35:03
Cool....thanks for that. I spoke to my local reptile vet as going to get her checked over and resexed, as she has quite large spors by her vent, which when reading up, suggests she may be a male, maybe im wrong lol.

He said to leave her till tomorrow, which will be a couple of days since her feed and see how responsive she is with tongue flicking. If she isnt interested then he would like to see her, but he did suggest the 24 defrost shouldnt have made a difference. You guys have put my mind at ease and I do appreciate it :)
Blackecho Posted - 09/09/2009 : 13:20:03
Yep.
Heffa Posted - 09/09/2009 : 11:00:02
ok. So she should be ok then, she hasnt regurgitated it, and I assume if there was anything wrong with it, she would have puked it up. Was just a bit worried, as she seems to have gone all lazy lol... after her last feed, she was still raring to go and moving about, but after last nights feed, she has just stayed under the hot hide. I ges this could be because it was a bigger feed than last week and she is full up like Spor suggested.
Blackecho Posted - 09/09/2009 : 10:54:18
I get mine out in the morning and feed in the evening. 24 hours is on the limit imo.

I don't think there's a great deal of difference in floor space between a 4L and 9L, the 9L has more height though.
Heffa Posted - 09/09/2009 : 10:09:57
Oh right, my holes are scattered all over the lid and only have about 20, then 20 on each end. So I will drill some more holes. I may just go and get another rub and drill the holes like you have. Heffa is in a 9L rub, tho as she is a fatty. I am going to weigh and measure her tomorrow, cant do today as she was had her feed yesterday and is settled.

Just a quick question, I took a small mouse out on Monday night about 6pm and let it defrost on top of her viv, till 6pm last night. Is this too long to defrost a mouse for, as the mouse looked a bit fat, and im hoping the length of time hasnt done anything to it, made it gassy or anything.

Im sorry guys, im a worrier as you have probably noticed. :(

So just to confirm, what temp would you suggest i put the matstat on and leave it on - about 88-90 or more around 85?

Blackecho Posted - 09/09/2009 : 07:24:25
A 4L RUB I'm using.

Just counted the holes so that you have an idea. There are 2 sets of 12 x 4mm holes in opposite corners on the sides and there are 127 x 4mm holes in the lid. So 151 holes in total, the humidity is just about right.
spor Posted - 09/09/2009 : 02:07:01
ok. just so you know you don't need to turn the stat down in the evening. This may be part of the problem you have been having with getting temps to establish. between from 80 to 90 is grand and with in few degrees either way. i'm sure if every one put on there temps you would see that some are probably running 83-92 or 78-89. 80-90 is the ideal i guess they can have a basking area up to 95. and yes i know if you read up in books etc you will find that they can have and evening or night time temp of 75-85. but as i said this is not needed. there will be very few on here who make a night time adjustment.

a viv will drop a couple of degrees on it own as the air is normally cooler at night time. also with your lamp going of the temps are already dropping.

I would hold off on the dehumidifier until you are sure you need it.
Heffa Posted - 09/09/2009 : 01:37:35
cool. thanks mate, I really do appreciate your advice.

The temps are staying high tonight, as it a humid night tonight.

Temps on hot were higher than 85 and on cold 77/78, so I have turned the heat mat down to 85, as I know she should be about 78-80 in the evening. Light was turned off at about half 6.

Got her on kitchen roll now rather than substrate as didnt want her choking on it at all. Hopefully the hygrometers will be here in a couple of days. I ordered a dehumidifyer today, one of these condensation collectors for humid rooms, so hopefully that will help a bit. also ordered a hygro/thermo for the room so i can read the room temp/% as wel as the rub
spor Posted - 09/09/2009 : 01:23:30
Well still wait and see what digital hygrometer says. but in the mean time what you could do is take out your dial one to another room or outside. just to get it to change a good bit. bring it back up to viv and leave lid of for a bit this will allow the humidity to settle a bit.. and then put it all back to normal. Don't do this for a couple of days at least 24hr you don't want to disturb her to much after feeding.

as for the sitting under hot hide after feed. they need the heat to help digest the food. so she will probably sit there for a while. she may just look like she is breathing heavier due to a full belly. so don't worry to much.

as for the basking spot. you find that with any over head heat lamp that the spot directly under it is what becomes your basking spot as it will be in closest proximity to the source. its all about where you take you temp readings from and where you have your stat probe.
Heffa Posted - 09/09/2009 : 01:09:19
cool....thanks for all of your advice. unfortunately she is in a cold room, and the bulb is in the viv, so that is why the rub is in the viv.

Pierced more holes in her rub, had the fan and windows open today cos of how hot it was, and the humidity dropped to 75/80. So a little pleased.

I will look to get a ceramic lamp then for when she is older, and look to get the pulse, because ultimately she will end up in the viv, and i know you shouldnt use heat mats when they are older, cos they will tend to sit on them. How do you get a basking spot with no heat mat then, or will the ceramic bulb do this?

Fed her earlier. The previous owner had her on a small mouse. So as she seemed hungry after her hopper last week, thought I would try her on the small mouse this week. She took it straight away no problem, a little wiggle and she snatched it. I let it defrost for 24 hours, to ensure it was room temp. She has just been sitting under her hot hide and not moved, breathing heavy and quite quick, is this normal?
spor Posted - 08/09/2009 : 23:59:32
quote:
Originally posted by Heffa

Or should I get a dimmer, on the basis that I am using a bulb as well

unfortunitly with a light emmiting heat lamp you would be better with dimmer but with mat you would be better will pulse. i dimming stats don't work just as well with heat mats.
if you get a pulse stat then when he is bigger you could use ceramic heat lamp which are non light emmitting heat sources
kerriekins666 Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:49:03
do you have sphagnum moss in your viv or rub at all. apparently i have heard that this stuff can raise the humidity in the snakes home??????
Gingerpony Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:47:54
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Id hazard a guess that youre problems with humidity are because you have her inside a RUB inside a viv...I cant think of how the air is supposed to circulate...
vents........ holes drilled in the lid/sides.......
boze Posted - 08/09/2009 : 17:31:50
Id hazard a guess that youre problems with humidity are because you have her inside a RUB inside a viv...I cant think of how the air is supposed to circulate... Take the RUB out, have some simple kitchen roll on the floor, with the heatmat under the RUB with some kitchen roll under the heatmat and between the heatmat and the RUB . Make sure that the water bowl isnt on top of the heatmat too. Then place your thermometer probe on the floor inside the RUB on top of where the heatmat is. You shouldnt have any trouble getting the temp up there.

D
Heffa Posted - 08/09/2009 : 12:24:54
I have been lookin on ebay and am considering in purchasing the "lucky humidifyer controller". Are these any good, or am I rushing into purchasing it too soon? Is high humidity easy to get rid of?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000