Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  20:33:33  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

the humidity is still high, at about 80, it doesnt seemt to lower even with a fan on.

I am currently using a dial, am ordering a digi one tho.

any advice is most welcome

GEPowditch

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  21:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait till you get your digital one in before you panic. i have in my corns viv a combination thermometer and hygrometer digital and a dial one as well as a temperature back up. The dial hygrometer reads 85% while the digital one is at 60% .

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  21:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take some pics of your set up now. just your set up. and post in this thread. It tried to look at your other ones but can't really make out were anything is. temp probes heat mat etc. How much ventilation there is etc. Postion to the window you are talking about. All that stuff. Bedrooms quite often tend to have slightly higher humidity with doors being closed and windows shut. are your temps sorted out now? i know that the problem your were having at the start.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  09:49:52  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
unfortunately i could not get the temps up with just the heat mat and had to install the red light. It is not directly above the rub, and i only have it on for a few hours just to get the temps up in the morning, as once the temps are up, i close the doors to the viv, leaving a small gap at each end for ventilation.

Maybe this is where i am going wrong.

Since I have got the temps up, she seems a bit happier. I found her yesterday with her head on top of her cold hide, and her body in the hide.

I am a little concerned, i was checking over her belly this morning, and she looks like she has a little split in her scales, about 1-1.5cm long, doesnt look infected or dirty. should i be concerned?

Also her tail looks yellow compared to the rest of her body, but checking over her previous sheds, she has shed completely. Is this normal?

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  15:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used to leave a small gap on the cool side to keep it cool, untill he got out! Now it's shut and locked at all times. Just in case, make sure the snake can't come into contact with the bulb. Hard to tell what the split is without a pic, where exactly is it on his body?

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 07/09/2009 15:11:43
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  20:46:13  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

As you can see in the top photo, it looks like her scales are splitting, but they dont look infected. Im sorry the pics are not that great, she is quite active and very much a wriggler :)

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  20:57:29  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As Heffa is in a rub, she cant come into direct contact with the bulb, the rub is in the viv to help with temps.

I cleaned out her rub today and am using kitchen towel instead of aspen, in the hot that it may help with the humidity.

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't look serious, but the experts will be better to listen too, i'm sure one will be along soon.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  01:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the slit looks like it could just be were she was attached in the egg. Kinda like our belly button. So no need to worry. as for the coloration I can't think of any reason why it would be like that apart from it is just her colouring.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn

Edited by - spor on 08/09/2009 01:05:36
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  06:53:28  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thank god for that.... she kinda hiccup'd this morning whilst i was holding her, she aint that before, could this be related to the humidity problem? Or can they normally just hiccup? :)

Temps are geting better, I have the light on from 8am to 8pm and the temps hit 88 to 90 on the hot side and about 76-78 on the cold side.

At night, I close the viv doors up leaving a small gap at each end, for ventilation and the temps go down to 82 to 83 on the hot side and 72 to 73 on the cold side.

Would you say these temps are reasonable and ok to her. I woke up this morning and found her settled under the hot hide, with her head peeping out.

I am going to drill some more holes over the water bowl in hope it will help with the humidity problem. silly this is there is no condensation in the box what so ever.

the digital hygometer is on its way as ordered it yesterday.

I am considering in getting a pp thermostat, would this be more suitable for Heffa, based on her location and issues I am having?

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  06:54:11  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or should I get a dimmer, on the basis that I am using a bulb as well

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  12:24:54  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have been lookin on ebay and am considering in purchasing the "lucky humidifyer controller". Are these any good, or am I rushing into purchasing it too soon? Is high humidity easy to get rid of?

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  17:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Id hazard a guess that youre problems with humidity are because you have her inside a RUB inside a viv...I cant think of how the air is supposed to circulate... Take the RUB out, have some simple kitchen roll on the floor, with the heatmat under the RUB with some kitchen roll under the heatmat and between the heatmat and the RUB . Make sure that the water bowl isnt on top of the heatmat too. Then place your thermometer probe on the floor inside the RUB on top of where the heatmat is. You shouldnt have any trouble getting the temp up there.

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  20:47:54  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Id hazard a guess that youre problems with humidity are because you have her inside a RUB inside a viv...I cant think of how the air is supposed to circulate...
vents........ holes drilled in the lid/sides.......

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  20:49:03  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
do you have sphagnum moss in your viv or rub at all. apparently i have heard that this stuff can raise the humidity in the snakes home??????

khiggins
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  23:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heffa

Or should I get a dimmer, on the basis that I am using a bulb as well

unfortunitly with a light emmiting heat lamp you would be better with dimmer but with mat you would be better will pulse. i dimming stats don't work just as well with heat mats.
if you get a pulse stat then when he is bigger you could use ceramic heat lamp which are non light emmitting heat sources

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  01:09:19  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cool....thanks for all of your advice. unfortunately she is in a cold room, and the bulb is in the viv, so that is why the rub is in the viv.

Pierced more holes in her rub, had the fan and windows open today cos of how hot it was, and the humidity dropped to 75/80. So a little pleased.

I will look to get a ceramic lamp then for when she is older, and look to get the pulse, because ultimately she will end up in the viv, and i know you shouldnt use heat mats when they are older, cos they will tend to sit on them. How do you get a basking spot with no heat mat then, or will the ceramic bulb do this?

Fed her earlier. The previous owner had her on a small mouse. So as she seemed hungry after her hopper last week, thought I would try her on the small mouse this week. She took it straight away no problem, a little wiggle and she snatched it. I let it defrost for 24 hours, to ensure it was room temp. She has just been sitting under her hot hide and not moved, breathing heavy and quite quick, is this normal?

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  01:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well still wait and see what digital hygrometer says. but in the mean time what you could do is take out your dial one to another room or outside. just to get it to change a good bit. bring it back up to viv and leave lid of for a bit this will allow the humidity to settle a bit.. and then put it all back to normal. Don't do this for a couple of days at least 24hr you don't want to disturb her to much after feeding.

as for the sitting under hot hide after feed. they need the heat to help digest the food. so she will probably sit there for a while. she may just look like she is breathing heavier due to a full belly. so don't worry to much.

as for the basking spot. you find that with any over head heat lamp that the spot directly under it is what becomes your basking spot as it will be in closest proximity to the source. its all about where you take you temp readings from and where you have your stat probe.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  01:37:35  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cool. thanks mate, I really do appreciate your advice.

The temps are staying high tonight, as it a humid night tonight.

Temps on hot were higher than 85 and on cold 77/78, so I have turned the heat mat down to 85, as I know she should be about 78-80 in the evening. Light was turned off at about half 6.

Got her on kitchen roll now rather than substrate as didnt want her choking on it at all. Hopefully the hygrometers will be here in a couple of days. I ordered a dehumidifyer today, one of these condensation collectors for humid rooms, so hopefully that will help a bit. also ordered a hygro/thermo for the room so i can read the room temp/% as wel as the rub

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  02:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok. just so you know you don't need to turn the stat down in the evening. This may be part of the problem you have been having with getting temps to establish. between from 80 to 90 is grand and with in few degrees either way. i'm sure if every one put on there temps you would see that some are probably running 83-92 or 78-89. 80-90 is the ideal i guess they can have a basking area up to 95. and yes i know if you read up in books etc you will find that they can have and evening or night time temp of 75-85. but as i said this is not needed. there will be very few on here who make a night time adjustment.

a viv will drop a couple of degrees on it own as the air is normally cooler at night time. also with your lamp going of the temps are already dropping.

I would hold off on the dehumidifier until you are sure you need it.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn

Edited by - spor on 09/09/2009 02:08:59
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  07:24:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A 4L RUB I'm using.

Just counted the holes so that you have an idea. There are 2 sets of 12 x 4mm holes in opposite corners on the sides and there are 127 x 4mm holes in the lid. So 151 holes in total, the humidity is just about right.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000