food size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  14:58:52  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the ball python that i am getting is 8 weeks old at the moment and is feeding on mouse fuzzies, one every 5 days at the pet shop.
by the time i get the set sorted the snake will be around a month older than that so - 12 weeks old when i get him/her
understanding that the pet shop have given me a complete wrong load of advice i would rather get proffessional advice

at 12 weeks old what size food and how many in one feed should i be giving, and how long in between each feed

khiggins

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  15:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends how heavy it is, id say at that age probably a rat pup every 5 days for a couple of feeds then onto a rat fluff every 5 days.

Basically you are looking to feed it 10-15% of its bodyweight every 5 days, or a prey item 1-1.5 times the thickness of the thickest part of its body every 5 days.

cheers

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  15:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should only feed one food item at a time, no more often than 5 days. The right size is either 10% - 15% of the snake's body weight, or as a rule of thumb the food should be about the same thickness as the thickest part of the snake. If possible try to get him onto rats rather than mice, as when he's fully grown mice will be too small. TBH he should probably be on rat fuzzies anyway, most pet shops seem to underfeed and it'll be easier to convert him to rats while he's young before he gets too much of a taste for mice.

While we're on feeding, when he comes home put him in his viv and leave him alone completely for seven days to settle in. Don't try and offer him food until after this time, just change his water daily and resist the temptation to handle him. Royals can be picky buggers when it comes to food and leaving him to settle in gives you the best chance of him eating. Oh, very important, once he's eaten leave him alone for 2-3 days to digest his dinner before handling.

<edit> Boze beat me to it!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather

Edited by - chris100575 on 11/09/2009 15:14:34
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  16:13:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As above, probably Rat Pups every 5 days.

Go to Top of Page

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  18:44:00  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot

khiggins
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000