The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 sexing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kerriekins666 Posted - 09/09/2009 : 18:21:38
i am getting my snake soon, a royal but the breeder doesnt know what sex it is yet, because he told me that you cant properly sex a snake until they are about a year old. First i want to know whether this is true or not, and second i would like to know please how you sex a snake, i have heard before but need step by step instructions so i can get it right

thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kerriekins666 Posted - 09/09/2009 : 20:35:48
i wont do it myself, my dad will, he's got a boa constrictor but he dont live with me.

thanks a lot
chris100575 Posted - 09/09/2009 : 18:46:13
Male snakes have two penises, the hemipenes, which retract inside the snake except during mating. There are two reasonably reliable ways to sex a snake, popping and probing. Popping only works with babies, and involves rolling your thumb towards the snake's cloaca from the tail end. If done properly the hemipenes will pop out if the snake is a male. This must only ever be done by someone experienced as if done incorrectly it can injure the snake.

The other method used for older snakes is probing. This involves gently inserting a fine round-tipped steel rod into the snake's cloaca towards the tail. In a male the rod will slip into the retracted hemipene, whereas with a female it will just reach muscle. How far the rod can be inserted determines the sex. Again, this must be done by someone experienced to avoid injury.

Your best bet would be to take your snake to a reptile vet who would be able to sex it safely for you if the breeder isn't able to. Please do not try it yourself.
dazb Posted - 09/09/2009 : 18:39:03
I would you say you can sex a royal from being a hatchling either by popping or probing. Probing is the most acurate way of sexing.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000