sexing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  18:21:38  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i am getting my snake soon, a royal but the breeder doesnt know what sex it is yet, because he told me that you cant properly sex a snake until they are about a year old. First i want to know whether this is true or not, and second i would like to know please how you sex a snake, i have heard before but need step by step instructions so i can get it right

thanks

khiggins

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  18:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would you say you can sex a royal from being a hatchling either by popping or probing. Probing is the most acurate way of sexing.

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  18:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Male snakes have two penises, the hemipenes, which retract inside the snake except during mating. There are two reasonably reliable ways to sex a snake, popping and probing. Popping only works with babies, and involves rolling your thumb towards the snake's cloaca from the tail end. If done properly the hemipenes will pop out if the snake is a male. This must only ever be done by someone experienced as if done incorrectly it can injure the snake.

The other method used for older snakes is probing. This involves gently inserting a fine round-tipped steel rod into the snake's cloaca towards the tail. In a male the rod will slip into the retracted hemipene, whereas with a female it will just reach muscle. How far the rod can be inserted determines the sex. Again, this must be done by someone experienced to avoid injury.

Your best bet would be to take your snake to a reptile vet who would be able to sex it safely for you if the breeder isn't able to. Please do not try it yourself.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather

Edited by - chris100575 on 09/09/2009 18:48:03
Go to Top of Page

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  20:35:48  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wont do it myself, my dad will, he's got a boa constrictor but he dont live with me.

thanks a lot

khiggins
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000